Is £182 enough at Christmas

How much do you spend at Christmas? (including presents, food, etc)  

42 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you spend at Christmas? (including presents, food, etc)

• under £100
    • £100 - £300
    • £300 - £500
    • £500+

The BBC have reported that low income families will spend around £182 this Christmas to cover food, presents, decorations etc.

The full article can be found here.

Do you think it is enough for a family of two adults and two children?

Yes, who said you HAVE to do all these things at Christmas. If you can't afford something, you don't do it!!

The BBC have reported that low income families will spend around £182 this Christmas to cover food, presents, decorations etc.

The full article can be found here.

Do you think it is enough for a family of two adults and two children?

Christmas has spiralled out of control and it is easy to blow a fair amount of money on presents etc. There is no hard rule about how much, minimum, you should spend. People should spend what they can afford, not what they think they should spend.

that's £182 cans of super strength lager.

I could have a great christmas with that.

I don;t have anywhere near that much to spend on christmas.

"Mine, she wants a toy from X and it costs £40. She shows me on the TV every day, when they show advertisements. She just points with her finger. 'Mum, can you buy me this for Christmas?"'

I know I used to be one, but kids annoy the hell out of me at Christmas. Why do they want all this CRAP they know they'll just get bored of after a month?

Possibly because advertisers are very good at manufacturing desire and getting kids to nag their parents for some overpriced bits of plastic. It's a form of psychological warfare.

Yes, who said you HAVE to do all these things at Christmas. If you can't afford something, you don't do it!!

Totally agree.Christmas is NOT compulsary,it can be avoided.

If anyone is going to call me after a character from a Dickens novel can we have Dick Swiveller for a change ?

I think it depends on the individual. I have a lot of people to buy for, so £182 is nowhere near enough for me. How I wish it was, as I'm strugglnig this year :(

Totally agree.Christmas is NOT compulsary,it can be avoided.

If anyone is going to call me after a character from a Dickens novel can we have Dick Swiveller for a change ?

You Dick Swiveller :hihi:

I think it depends on the individual. I have a lot of people to buy for, so £182 is nowhere near enough for me. How I wish it was, as I'm strugglnig this year :(

It could be if you are creative :) Make presents, i.e. bake things etc.

It could be if you are creative :) Make presents, i.e. bake things etc.

Trust me, you wouldn't want to eat something that I have baked :hihi:

How can you ask whether any amount of money is enough?

'Enough' is a concept created entirely from a subjective point of view, therefore what is 'enough' for one person is 'too much' for another.

If you have £50 available then £182 may be 'enough' but it's also unobtainable, so it's a thoroughly pointless question.

If anybody on a low income manages to get £182 together to spend on having a good time then they've planned through the year to have that available. I couldn't put my hands on that sort of money without planning not to interrupt bill payments.

Trust me, you wouldn't want to eat something that I have baked :hihi:

I dread to think. Maybe you could knit, paint, create something unusual... possibilities are endless. Failing that, you could bake something and pass it off as a "guess what it is" game ;):D