Does house insurance cover leaking roof?

MY OH has just been in the loft and seen a few spots of water on the floor, so he felt the ceiling and could feel the wet patches where it has obviously come through, is this something that the insurance would cover or not?

Depends on your insurance and the type of roof I'm afraid. Certainly worth calling them to ask them about it.

I called my insurance company regarding an attic leak. They sent in someone who said 'No', it was not covered. Fair enough but it then showed as a 'claim' when my policy was renewed and I lost my no-claims, which I then had to declare if I changed provider, which I did, I was so annoyed.

Be caereful. Insurance is fine until you actually need to call it in.

this is probably not covered as its classed as general wear and tear and you are responsible for the day to day up keep of your property

paul

It really depends on the cause of the leak. If your roof is new or even newish and therefore has failed because of a storm damaging it or similar then your insurance may well pay out.

If, however, it's been a few years since your roof was replaced and the damage could be wear and tear rather than accidental then the insurance company is likely to refuse to touch it.

You may find that the roof is classed as wear and tear, but any damage to contents due to the water coming in may be covered.

If it's even leaking...

Open your loft hatch, and you're letting that nice warm & moist air from downstairs get up there.

It condenses on the cold roof and drips down...just like it does in my house when anyone has gone up there recently!

MY OH has just been in the loft and seen a few spots of water on the floor, so he felt the ceiling and could feel the wet patches where it has obviously come through, is this something that the insurance would cover or not?

Why not read your policy and why buy a policy without reading it?If you have buildings cover you are alright.If not a tar -paulin is an excellent cover.

Don't forget that while your buildings insurance may not cover the roof repair if they say it is wear and tear, your building/contents policy should cover damage caused by the leak.

Ceilings, carpets, hadron collider etc.

Don't forget that while your buildings insurance may not cover the roof repair if they say it is wear and tear, your building/contents policy should cover damage caused by the leak.

Ceilings, carpets, hadron collider etc.

I would love to see the claim form from them for that.

Tv- £500

DVD £100

Large Hadron Collider - £4,500,000,000

It really depends on the cause of the leak. If your roof is new or even newish and therefore has failed because of a storm damaging it or similar then your insurance may well pay out.

If, however, it's been a few years since your roof was replaced and the damage could be wear and tear rather than accidental then the insurance company is likely to refuse to touch it.

Wrong, wrong and more wrong, it is the responsibility of the insurer to prove that the property was in poor order.

A client called and stated that the chimney stack of one of his properties had fallen on a ladies car (she was not in it at the time). The loss adjuster asked if the chimney stack was in good order, we advised that he say that he was not in the habit of inspecting chimney stacks, which was the truth. The insurer paid for the car and a new chimney stack, when insurers ask questions that you can't answer, don't answer them.

this is probably not covered as its classed as general wear and tear and you are responsible for the day to day up keep of your property

paul

We tried to claim a couple of times in our previous house for roof leaks. Insurance always said it was "wear and tear" even when tiles were blown off by a high wind.