Sign in to follow this  

"My name is Joe" - Ken Loach

I bought this gritty dvd the other day after being referred it.

Directed by the ever-controversial Ken Loach and filmed in Glasgow, starring Peter Mullen ('Mother Superior' in Trainspotting and a warrior in 'Braveheart), it also co-starred a few other familiar Scottish names and faces whose names escape me, but the female co-singer from Deacon Blue appeared in it.

It's fantastic- rivetting and moving, showing street harshness, humour and real emotion, not the American saccharin type.

If anyone else has seen it, what did they think?

I'm a big fan of the film. It was a far more accomplished and consistent film than his recent, frankly odd, "Looking For Eric".

I recently watched "Cathy Come Home" too, and that's worth checking out. It's extremely raw, but it enables you to understand the whole genesis of Loach's work.

Yes, as with the recent "The Wind that shakes the Barley" - engaging and gritty, but oddly empty, like a McD burger! Lol

Mullen is a great yet underrated actor still, despite winning a gong at Cannes for the 'Joe' film, deservedly.

I thought that

it would end with Joe doing what he was 'known for'?

I'd watch 'Cathy come Home' again though.