Laurence and Co Letting Agent?

Hi, I'm quite keen on a house being let by 'Laurence and Co' (based in Sharrow), just wondering if anyones had any experience with them in terms of maintenance etc?

Thanks

Hey,

We had our student house with Laurance and co a few years ago. They come across as very nice, but their true colours came out!

The house had been really cheaply done up. The wall of our dining room fell down and we were accussed of splashing so much in the bath that it was our fault! Also, we were told we would be evicted if we didn't tidy our house, when the landlord came round whilst we were drying washing in the dining room!

Aswell, the landlord came to show a prospective letter round, didn't lock the door and we got robbed later on that week when we were all away!

So, all in all, DEFINITELY one to avoid! x

We currently rent a house through them and put it this way, we have been counting the days till we move out. We got broken into twice over christmas and asked if we could leave the contract early and they wouldn't let us, so have spent the last 4 months feeling very uncomfortable in the property. They made us pay to have a locksmith change the locks when this happened as well.

The house is grubby, with damp in all rooms, old wallpaper, dirty skirting boards, its just not a well looked after house, it doesn't matter how much you clean it it still looks dirty.

The worst thing is while me and my partner were at work they came round a few times, I only noticed because there was a new net curtain, I couldn't believe they did that, I felt like we were being watched and they even admitted they had been round while we were out, but because they could see through the window that the net curatin needed changing.

Would never go with them again, can't wait to get out of there, don't go with them if I was you, just look at their website and see how many properties they have on, think it tells you a lot.

Just thought I'd add that I let with Laurence and Co and they have been fine with me, sorted plumbers quickly when I needed them etc. The maintenance bloke is a bit dipsy, coming into our house instead of next doors (also Laurence and co) but they're ok!

I'm letting with them at the moment have been since june and they have been spot on all the time. I dnt have any complaints, any queries or repairs have been resolved that day the plumber/electrician/gasman comes out straight away and always works very well. Overal Im happy with them. When we viewed the house we told them about issues and they had them sorted before we moved in. Im a happy camper just signed a 12 month extension

It depends on what contract the landlord has with Laurence & Co. Although you complain to the letting agent they may only be able to pass your complaint on to the landlord. It could be the landlord what is ignorant and not necessary the letting agent. This can apply to any letting agent.

I don't rent with them (yet?) but have been ringing them repeatedly for 2 days about a property we want to view and it just rings on to answerphone every time, not a great first impression! Anyway I've left a message so now I'm waiting for them to get back to me. Some of the reviews on here really worry me, I can't stand nosy landlords and threatening to evict you for hanging out your laundry is ridiculous! However the flat I'm looking at is a 1 minute walk from work if I get the new job I'm in the running for so I have to at least look into it. I'll see what I think for myself and let you guys know.

I rented a house from Laurance & Co for 6 years. In that time I had no problems at all with the service they provided. Whenever I reported a fault it was resolved in 24 hours, appliances replaced with no questions and left to enjoy the property within the terms of the tenancy agreement. Everyone I dealt with were efficient and friendly which resulted in first class service.

Even though (regretfully) I no longer have a property with them, I would not hesitate to rent a property again and would recommend them to anyone seeking a decent, fairly priced home. Also, no extortionate administration fees or reams of paperwork to complete.

Edited by markinsheff

Totally agree with the above post, couldnt ask for a better service honestly. Any issue we had was resolved quickly and efficiently, had a blocked drain and Dynodrain were out same day for instance, fridge replaced quickly without question etc. Right down to the little things like being so friendly on the phone and giving us a bottle of bucks fizz when we went in to sign/renew our contract just gave us a really positive experience and would recommend them to anyone.

I have also had very bad experiences with this company. I am letting one of their properties which has terrible central heating and a completely ineffective boiler. The fridge has broken several times and they have refused to make any attempt to fix the problem. I was recently served a notice of eviction despite keeping the house and garden immaculately tidy and paying rent on time. This was done an an incredibly impersonal way by way of a legal document rather than a telephone conversation. When I looked at the website recently, they are trying to let the house for £70 a month more than I have been paying despite the fact that they only put my rent up 6 months ago. As far as I am aware, it is illegal to increase the rent more than once within a year. This is the reason for my eviction. Very unpleasant people to deal with. Would NOT recommend!

we also got issued a notice ofeviction we asked for a extension of a week as girlfriend just given birth but was told sternly no. we were told the landlord wants house back but cnt help but think with prices soaring as they are that it is for more money rather than actually taking house off the books as stated.... ok be calling round in a month to collect any post and will ask the next tenant if they are renting and let them know just how l&c work!

That's really awful. Have a look on the website. My house is advertised there and it shows how much per week.