Stannington/Loxley as a place to live

I'm yet another one looking to move to Sheffield in the summer. I've 3 young children and am considering Stannington/Loxley. I'd be grateful for any opinions of it as a place to live.

Originally posted by "fionac"

I'm yet another one looking to move to Sheffield in the summer. I've 3 young children and am considering Stannington/Loxley. I'd be grateful for any opinions of it as a place to live.

I have to say I like the area vey much. There is some wonderful views, great country side on your doorstep. There is also quite a few nice pubs. I'd think you'll like it. The local comprehensive school as got a bit of a bad reputation though of late. Are you looking to buy or rent?

Thanks for reply, Lickszz. It's the countryside that attracted me. I'd like to buy, but as we're coming from N.Ireland, will probably have to rent first because it's too difficult to house-hunt from over here.

Which school has the bad reputation - there seem to be 3 in the area - Myers Grove, Bradfield and Wisewood?

Well, in the news recently Myers Grove has been getting alot of bad things said about it. Lots of Bullying and Truanting.

I was chatting to someone last night who lived in Stannington until fairly recently and they highly recommend it. They did however send their children to schools outside the area.

I have lived in Stannington all my life. It used to be classed as a very good area. It is still is really, fantastic views, nice housing, nice, decent hard working people etc.. However the wonderful council have decided to house heroin addicts and other scummy people here which is making the area go down hill. Kids are also a problem. They are not usually kids who live here but are coming from Winn Gardens and Parson Cross to smash all the bus stops and phone boxes on an almost nightly basis.

Myers Grove used to be excellent, I attended this school from 91-96. However once again the wonderful council decided to bring kids in from other areas such as Winn Gardens, Pitsmoor, Page Hall and Darnall. The school has fast become one of the worst in the area, there are now far too many kids who don't speak English, all the good teachers have left and the ones they are bringing in have worse language skills than the kids. I'd better not say anymore for fear of being branded racist but I will just say Myers was never a "multi cultural" school when I was there and it was brilliant, it has now become "multi cultural" and has gone down hill fast. Coincidence?

I live in Longley about 4 or 5 miles away and do a circuit on my bike as training in that area.Stannington is a very pleasant area to live in especially at the top end around Rails and spout lane.

The pubs are good but i would recomend you look next door to Stannington at Dungworth or Storrs.

The house prices there are not much different to Stannington but it is a small village very pleasant country side with a good pub that do nice and cheap meals.

The school has just been extended Bradfield and Dungworth junior school and is a very well positioned school away from main roads and has a bus service to the city.

A view of this village is a MUST before you buy it is situated between Stannington and Loxley.

Guest Mr BusDriver

Wisewood is a nice area:thumbsup:

I went to Wisewood Comprehensive 1989-1995 its a good school:thumbsup:

There is also some nice local shop's around the area and a ok bus service :confused:

It is a nice area Wisewood/Loxley because within 10-15 walk your in the countryside:thumbsup:

Hope your move go's well

I lived in Loxley for 15 years, was the Assistant Manager at The Admiral Rodney Pub (1 of the 2 Pubs in Loxley) and went to Bradfield School. Loxley is a great place to live, fantastic views/walks and Bradfield School has a good academic record. Loxley School is the Infant/Junior School which has an excellent reputation.

My mate has just moved into The Robin Hood in Stannington. Stannington is a nice place to live but the higher up Stannington you live, the better.

Hope this helps.

I've lived in Stannington my whole life, the views are brilliant, nice places to walk your dogs and let your children play.

I've lived up Stannington for 14 years now, I have lived at the top twice and near Myers grove school once.

I admit there are problems and agree with what steelblade says, but I live up the top again and there are no big problems just your usuall kids mucking about things.

How old are your kids? There is Stannington infants then Nook lane Junior, Nook lane is the feeder school to bradfield and I reccomend it alot. I left bradfield in '98, there's a bus service provided by the school toget there from the stannington library.

I'd go with the above - the higher up Stannington, the better.

Loxley is a nice area too.

It's always easy to get out into the countryside from both places, which is a bonus. There's a lot of green space around both areas which is good for the kids.

Send the kids to either Wisewood (where I went) or better still, Bradfield (nice rural school).

Avoid Myers Grove if at all possible. It's dreadful, from what i've heard.

Dont overlook Wadsley either, that's a nice place with good pubs etc.