Laminate flooring MEGATHREAD

I am redecorating my kitchen and would like to have wood effect laminate flooring. I don't want to spend loads of money as I live in a high rise council flat but I want it to look nice.

Anyone have any ideas what I will need to buy and where to buy it? and also does anyone know anybody who fits it for a reasonable fee. I contemplated laying it myself but then I realised I am hopeless at DIY.

It really isn't too difficult to lay, just slots together. The difficult bit will be cutting the planks to fit arkward places.

Unfortunately laminate floor for the kitchen can tend to be on the pricey side :( You can't just buy normal laminate floor as it isn't waterproof.

I guess your kitchen isn't mammoth being in a high rise flat?

We managed to do our living room (with normal laminate) for just short of £100, this included trim (not the laminate reccomended trim as this was too pricey, we made our own) and underlay.

Just be aware that you will be constantly cleaning the damn thing, as it shows up all sorts of dirt :(

Most DIY places will sell it like B&Q and Homebase. I have also seen a unit off penistone road that sells it (near pulse and cocktails) that might be cheaper?

Thanks.

I don't really want to try and lay it myself because it will be costly id I mess it up.

I never thought about it being waterproof. My kitchen isn't very big at all. The only reason I don't want to spend a great deal is because I've just redecorated the rest of my flat and I am skint. The kitchen has never been done so I thought I'd just buy a tin of paint and give it some nice flooring.

I didn't think it would be very expensive.

We got ours from Floors to go off Penistone Road near the Toyota garage, and it came to £100 for a 13ft square room including the underlay and beading round the edge. They don't actually do fitting themselves but can recommend people. Why not go and have a look to see what you could get

I'd try that place near Heeley Bridge opposite Benson Carpets (all in orange) as there meant to be quite cheap and fit it as well!

You can use normal laminate flooring just make sure it's sealed with a waterproof glue. Might be a better idea to get a wood effect vinyl or something instead though.

Can anybody suggest the best places to buy laminate/wooden flooing in Sheffield. I would also require it fitting.

Thanks.

Doors & Floors Galore @ Attercliffe - good range, they'll only sell you the amount of underlay you need and they'll take back unopened packs if you have too much.

As for fitting then feel free to give us a call - I'm happy to pick the stuff up for you.

Jody

Avoid WWF (Wholesale Wooden Floors).

They will not allow you to take back any surplus even when the packs are sealed. They quote chapter and verse the Sales of Goods Act even though stores such as Wickes, B+Q, Homebase will always refund on surplus purchases.

If you eventually speak to the area manager and argue the case they will accept returns, subject to a 25% restocking fee! Apprently the 25% charge is a goodwill gesture and not the daylight robbery it would appear to be.

We got a really good deal from B&Q a few months ago on some aqua lock laminate. With regards to fitting, it really isn't that difficult to do it your self. I'd never done it before and I'm not the keenest DIYer in the world. I layed our 5m x3m kitchen in an afternoon. Most laminate has a click lock system so it all just clip together.

"Floors To Go" in Heeley is ok, the guys who work there are realy helpfull.

For cheapness, try "No Frills DIY" near the bottom of Granville Road.

There appears to be a new flooring shop opening on Carbrook Hall road opposite Tinsley Wire (used to be Shedlands or summink).

Don't know if they just stocking up or are open yet but it 'looked' open today :)