Accountability of Sheffield MPs who voted against brexit

After yesterdays vote both Nick Clegg and Angela Smith voted against the brexit bill. In light of the fact that the area they represent voted in favour during the referendum, can they still maintain that they represent the people.

Should they be asked to resign and have a by election on the basis that they have no mandate to vote the way they did from the electorate in their constiuencies?

I understand the whole "they don't have to if they believe it to be wrong", but have they overstepped their mandate?

Sheffield Hallam constistuency voted Remain, didn't it; where is the inconsistency in Clegg's action?

No it's fine. They've been duly elected and can act as they see fit.

If we don't like how they vote, we can vote for somebody else in the next election.

Did Nick Clegg's constituency (Hallam) vote Leave?

Seeing it has such a high number of students and graduates (who were move likely to vote remain) I would be surprised if his 'vote against Brexit' wasn't actually more in line with the majority of his constituents.

Smith didn't. Her marginal seat of Penistone and Stocksbridge, "defied the official position of her party yesterday and the 61.3 per cent of her constituency who voted for Brexit."

Clegg doesn't suprise me. I'm not a fan despite him being my MP. Smith on the other hand clearly went against her constituence. it wasn't even close in her borough, she ignored 61% of her voters.

Smith didn't. Her marginal seat of Penistone and Stocksbridge, "defied the official position of her party yesterday and the 61.3 per cent of her constituency who voted for Brexit."

Clegg doesn't suprise me. I'm not a fan despite him being my MP. Smith on the other hand clearly went against her constituence. it wasn't even close in her borough, she ignored 61% of her voters.

Hang on a min. You are slagging off Clegg for FOLLOWING 63% of his constituents by voting to block Brexit, and at the same time slagging off Smith for voting against 61% of hers. Which is it?

Hang on a min. You are slagging off Clegg for FOLLOWING 63% of his constituents by voting to block Brexit, and at the same time slagging off Smith for voting against 61% of hers. Which is it?

I think the OP is a fan of the having one's cake and eating it approach.

After yesterdays vote both Nick Clegg and Angela Smith voted against the brexit bill. In light of the fact that the area they represent voted in favour during the referendum, can they still maintain that they represent the people.

Should they be asked to resign and have a by election on the basis that they have no mandate to vote the way they did from the electorate in their constiuencies?

I understand the whole "they don't have to if they believe it to be wrong", but have they overstepped their mandate?

What exactly was the in Sheffield Hallam?

Sheffield overall was about 49/51 wasn't it? So I'd suspect that Hallam was actually 75% remain and other areas were more strongly leave.

---------- Post added 08-12-2016 at 15:38 ----------

I think the OP is a fan of the having one's cake and eating it approach.

A classic brexit voter, who expects to both leave the EU, but retain free market access on our terms. :hihi:

It'd be funny if it wasn't actually true.

I took the Sheffiel vote as a whole. I hold my hands up and admit that Clegg probably did go with his voters. Not so much Smith though.

See we're all grown ups here. I can admit error although i'm not sure the name calling adds much to any debate.

It's irrelevant how each constituency voted, because the UK referendum result was decided on total numbers of votes for each of the two options on the ballot paper. Constiencies were only used for the purpose of counting votes cast, because it would have been silly to take all the ballot papers to one location to be counted. The referendum result was a decision decided by the whole of the United Kingdom, so all MPs should respect the democratic decision of the whole of the United Kingdom and cooperate with the Government, to make sure BREXIT occurs as quickly as possible.

Like a little pile of nodding lapdogs that do what our corporate OberFuherer deamdns yes?

Democracy doesn't work like that in practice.