Another condensation problem

I live in a house that has no cavity, and the outside wall gets cold, behind the fitted wardrobes we get condensation, we try to to keep the room warm, and the fitted wardrobe doors open, plus the window on a slight vent, but we still get condensation behind the units. ideally we would be better ripping it all out and fitting a false insulated wall, but if we put a very small oil filled radiator actually behind the unit to keep it all warm and snug, would that stop the condensation?

Thanks for any advice

Hi, Fitted wardrobes on an outside wall? a big no! no! I would check the gutters and pointing. If the wardrobes are truly fitted to the wall and it is non cavity the fixings can be a conduit for damp getting in from the outside.

If, as it sound like it might be from your post, the wardrobes are not truly fitted move them to an inside wall.

Putting a heater behind them would be sending heat through the wall and very expensive it may also be dangerous.

Hi, Fitted wardrobes on an outside wall? a big no! no! I would check the gutters and pointing. If the wardrobes are truly fitted to the wall and it is non cavity the fixings can be a conduit for damp getting in from the outside.

If, as it sound like it might be from your post, the wardrobes are not truly fitted move them to an inside wall.

Putting a heater behind them would be sending heat through the wall and very expensive it may also be dangerous.

The building is fine...

the bedroom fitment is a set of sliding doors, complete from one side of the room to the other, with units in side, i should have made an insulated false wall, but i didnt, and i cant really fit the doors anywhere else, due to the nature of the room..

i thought about one of these

http://www.screwfix.com/p/mini-oil-filled-radiator-500w/8833p

which has a thermostat, i thought left on at a low setting would do the trick, i may get one and just give it a try

I wouldn't. If the thermostat fails you could end up as burned offerings. Check it out with the fire brigade before you buy.

I've heard of brick vents being used sometimes in cases like this. I wonder if this would help at all ?

You could fit an extractor fan in the wardrobe. There are silent versions now that draw so little power they cost a few pence to run per day event if left running all the time.

Cut vents into the plinth and the floor of the wardrobe at the back and in any shelves to make sure the air flow is up the outside wall. Fit the fan as high up as you can. Feed power from the lighting circuit in the room via an isolator inside the wardrobe. If the doors don't go to the full height of the room you can fit the fan above the doors to extract air from the wardrobe back into the room. Keep your bedroom at a reasonable temperature and you're sorted.

You could fit an extractor fan in the wardrobe. There are silent versions now that draw so little power they cost a few pence to run per day event if left running all the time.

Cut vents into the plinth and the floor of the wardrobe at the back and in any shelves to make sure the air flow is up the outside wall. Fit the fan as high up as you can. Feed power from the lighting circuit in the room via an isolator inside the wardrobe. If the doors don't go to the full height of the room you can fit the fan above the doors to extract air from the wardrobe back into the room. Keep your bedroom at a reasonable temperature and you're sorted.

hi, I have a similar problem to this, do you know anyone who can carry out the procedure you have mentioned

thanks

you could also try a small tube heater in the bottom of the wardrobe