Condensation on a cistern.

Asking for a mate. As per title, it's dripping and has the potential to be a problem. Option 1, lag it (yoga type mats have been suggested) on the inside of it, option 2, stick a mixer feed to warm the water slightly ito take the chill off it, option 3, is there a product he can put on the floor that will soak up the drips but won't go mouldy.

Opines?

Option 1 is unlikely to work.

Option 2 is going to be expensive in the long run, as you'd need to add a fair amount of heat.

Option 3... I'd try one of the chemical based cat litters, in some sort of tray for easy changing.

The problem is that there is too much moisture for the warmth of that room so it condenses in the coldest place, which is the cistern. Much better than trying to warm the cistern (It'll just condense elsewhere, like the window or the wall) is trying to remove the excess water.

Ventilation might help as Jeffery Shaw suggests, preferably combined with heating the air. There are heat exchanger ventilarion fans available to help but they're very pricy. Obviously you need to cut down on ways the water is getting into the air if that's at all possible, but sometimes it's not.

Cheapest decent short-term fix - a chemical dehumidifier like the aero 360. Have an extractor fan on or open a window if you shower in there. Dry the shower/bath immediately after use with a cloth to stop the leftover water getting into the air.

Poundland do little dehumidifier tubs that work brilliantly!!

Thanks folks, some interesting points. As this particularly bathroom has no heating in it and the bath and shower haven't been "on" yet according to matey I'm at a bit of a loss on where the moisture could be coming from and why the condensation is only on the cistern and not the window or the tiles.

I shall pass it all on though!

I would suggest (s)he keeps wiping it with an absorbent cloth with a little detergent on it. This may help to prevent moisture forming on the cistern. I used to do this on our north facing bedroom window and it does help.

We have a north facing downstairs toilet and get this problem on our cistern. We do have a radiator in there and we haven't got a moisture problem in the rest of the house. I put a moisture trap on the floor behind the sink to try and keep the air as dry as possible in the toilet.

Ventilate the house daily, as has already been suggested and make sure it doesn't get too cold. Don't let moisture from bathing, cooking or clothes drying get into the atmosphere.

Put a plastic tray under the cistern and put one of those moisture absorbing 'snake' things on it. We used to have them on our bedroom windowsill until we upgraded our double glazing.

If there is no heating the room could be a bit damp anyway.

I was once told by a plumber that the toilet cistern gets condensation up to the water line because the mains water in there will be colder than the room temperature. Don't know how true this is?

I was once told by a plumber that the toilet cistern gets condensation up to the water line because the mains water in there will be colder than the room temperature. Don't know how true this is?

That's partly true. Mains water isn't always colder and the room may be warm enough to warm the cistern to equalise the temperature. It makes no difference if there isn't any moisture in the atmosphere to condense on the cold surface.

All four of our toilets are on the same north facing wall but only one gets condensation on. The shower room toilet did until we got a bigger radiator. Now its only that downstairs toilet that has condensation on the cistern.