Thinking of moving to Dinnington - what's it like?

Thinking it would be nice to move somewhere a little more rural or a little less urban so after looking at maps got curious about Dinnington but have never been there. Have heard though that it's a bit rough and would like to knowwhat other people think? Is it a nice place to live?

It's nota bit rough round town centre it's well rough .i cover my mates run when he's away and I hate delivering round town centre in early hours of morning

Varies a lot depending on which bit of Dinnington you're looking at.

Hi Cyclone, which are the good bits and which bits should be avoided?

I agree. I live in Laughton (en le Morthen), Dinnington end of the village. I have lived here for sixteen years and have seen a lot of changes in that time. Laughton common used to be rough but the old houses have been knocked down and replaced with new housing estates over a decade ago.

I have friends who live in Dinnington but on the estates not the town centre bit. Its easy to see which bits are a bit rough by driving round. There are some nice people in the council houses though, don't judge a book by its cover. ;)

What sort of property are you looking for and what budget? Do you need to be bang on the bus route?

The schools in Laughton and Thurcroft have a good reputation too.

I find it good for road links for getting about. My parents live next door, they make good use of the bus routes on a regular basis. Aldi and Tesco in Dinnington, Morrisons in Bramley and Sainsburys in Worksop. Worksop has a decent town centre and few supermarkets plus Marks & Spencers food.

If you need trains its easy to get to Doncaster or Retford for express trains to London or various services to Scotland. Its easier and quicker than driving into Sheffield to catch a train.

Dinnington is only one road of shops, not what I would call a town really.

Edited by Chez2

I used to live in Laughton and it's basically like anywhere else, has rough bits and has nice bits. Laughton En Le Morthen is very rural. Avoid the likes of Leicester Road, Doe Quarry area and you'll be fine. All in my own opinion obviously.

I would describe Laughton as semi rural. It is rural in style but its not 'out in the sticks', its not isolated. My parents are in their seventies and they can walk to Thurcroft, Dinnington and Laughton Common from Laughton. Its not going to be long before it meets Laughton Common and Thurcroft with the new houses that are currently being built. It has a main road and bus route straight through the village. It does only have one pub now but doctors, dentist and all other amenities are in Dinnington and Thurcroft.

Danny Boy - when did you last visit Laughton Common? I agree it was rough over a decade ago, probably almost two decades ago now, before they knocked the old houses down. I don't know anywhere in Laughton that is or has been rough since we moved here back in 2000. Are you getting the two confused?

Laughton en le Morthen is referred to as Laughton, Laughton Common is Laughton Common.

Edited by Chez2

I would describe Laughton as semi rural. It is rural in style but its not 'out in the sticks', its not isolated. My parents are in their seventies and they can walk to Thurcroft, Dinnington and Laughton Common from Laughton. Its not going to be long before it meets Laughton Common and Thurcroft with the new houses that are currently being built. It has a main road and bus route straight through the village. It does only have one pub now but doctors, dentist and all other amenities are in Dinnington and Thurcroft.

Danny Boy - when did you last visit Laughton Common? I agree it was rough over a decade ago, probably almost two decades ago now, before they knocked the old houses down. I don't know anywhere in Laughton that is or has been rough since we moved here back in 2000. Are you getting the two confused?

Laughton en le Morthen is referred to as Laughton, Laughton Common is Laughton Common.

I meant Dinno has rough bits Laughton isn't too bad at all. My kids go to Laughton J&I so I'm there almost every day.

Hi Cyclone, which are the good bits and which bits should be avoided?

The area around the comprehensive is the rougher area, and to the north of Swinston Hill.

Swinston Hill itself is probably the most expensive road in the village, and to the south of it is nicer and as you head towards North Anston it's pretty nice.

(I grew up in N Anston, my parents, siblings, some aunts/uncles and some friends still live in Anston and Dinnington).

morning!

I know this is an older thread but we are thinking of moving from beighton to the dinnington area, including north or south anston. the schools are the main reason for the move, they get good ratings compared to westfield.

there is a house for sale on swinston hill road and another a little closer to north anston on Lytham avenue, which looks to be close to a cemetery.

can anyone comment on that area of dinnington?

thanks !

As far as I remember Swinston Hill is the poshest (most expensive) part of Dinnington, but you will still be quite close to the rougher area. North Anston is nice as long as you avoid the woodland Drive area, this is based on knowledge from around 5 years ago as I was mortgage advisor at the dinnington branch of a large estate agent.

The area around the comprehensive is the rougher area, and to the north of Swinston Hill.

Swinston Hill itself is probably the most expensive road in the village, and to the south of it is nicer and as you head towards North Anston it's pretty nice.

(I grew up in N Anston, my parents, siblings, some aunts/uncles and some friends still live in Anston and Dinnington).

I agree its a bit rougher in the older houses close to the comp school.

I have a friend who lives on the estate just off Swinstons hill and it seems fine. She lives on a small cul de sac and hasn't had any problems in years.

I have noticed a lot of houses in Laughton Common are now given the address of Dinnington.

I live in Laughton (en le Morthen) and the two primary schools there are quite sought after. I don't know about the comp. I know some kids go to Wickersley comp, some to Dinnington.

Throapham is on the edge of Dinnington and Laughton, what are prices like there? Throapham is nice.

Anston looks nice but I don't have any real experience of it.