Do you feel any sympathy for the MPs who lost their seats?

Let this be a lesson to them all, we are your masters.

Let this be a lesson to them all, we are your masters.

Its not a lesson to them all, the MP that apparently represents my area as had the job for 32 years and will have the job until he decides he no longer wants the job.

Edited by loraward

Its not a lesson to them all, the MP that apparently represents my area as had the job for 35 years and will have the job until he decides he no longer wants the job.

That is not healthy as MPs in that situation will never experience 'redundancy', something that the ordinary man goes through. Also, it has a tendency to make them quite arrogant, knowing they don't have to give their all, even as a constituency MP, with the knowledge they will automatically be re-elected just because they live in a constituency with a large majority.

I do feel sorry for the likes of Vince Cable and Simon Huges who London constituencies state were good hard working constituency MPs at a local level.

Edited by poppet2

Its not a lesson to them all, the MP that apparently represents my area as had the job for 32 years and will have the job until he decides he no longer wants the job.

Maybe his/her time will come eventually like it did for dozens of Labour and LibDem MPs in Scotland. You never know.

On a personal level it probably feels crushing for them. However I understand that as Members of Parliament they are entitled to some kind of severance pay, which will help tide them over until they find new employment.

Maybe his/her time will come eventually like it did for dozens of Labour and LibDem MPs in Scotland. You never know.

If a Rotherham MP was ever going to loose their job this was the election that would have seen them kicked out. Even the Labour councilors were re elected. Makes you wonder how bad RMBC would have to get for the electorate to punish their elected representatives.

.....the MP that apparently represents my area as had the job for 32 years ......

If your MP is Kevin Barron then why do you put your location as Sheffield?

Not one bit of sympathy, if they had listened to their constituents then they would have been re-elected, I've seen Labour supporters blaming stuff like tactical voting, scare tactics......until they decide to start actually bloody listening then they won't change and neither will some people vote for them.

It's pure arrogance, they wouldn't even have a vote on the eu membership, despite 77% of the public wanting a say, well the public has spoken, legs hope they listen this time ......but I doubt they will

Not one bit of sympathy, if they had listened to their constituents then they would have been re-elected, I've seen Labour supporters blaming stuff like tactical voting, scare tactics......until they decide to start actually bloody listening then they won't change and neither will some people vote for them.

It's pure arrogance, they wouldn't even have a vote on the eu membership, despite 77% of the public wanting a say, well the public has spoken, legs hope they listen this time ......but I doubt they will

On the other hand it could be argued that Cameron has hoodwinked the electorate, playing a long game using the SNP.

1. After the referendum stoke English nationalism

2. Provoke a reaction in Scotland causing a surge in Scottish nationalism

3. Have the Murdoch media stoke it further

4. Use fear of surging Scottish nationalism in the election campaign

Seems to anecdotal evidence coming out now that there was a strong switch to conservative at the last minute in response to this. Cameron was prepared immediately after the result with concessions to the Scots over devolution to try and put out a fire he knew he'd started.

Clever but very dangerous stuff.

On the other hand it could be argued that Cameron has hoodwinked the electorate, playing a long game using the SNP.

1. After the referendum stoke English nationalism

2. Provoke a reaction in Scotland causing a surge in Scottish nationalism

3. Have the Murdoch media stoke it further

4. Use fear of surging Scottish nationalism in the election campaign

Seems to anecdotal evidence coming out now that there was a strong switch to conservative at the last minute in response to this. Cameron was prepared immediately after the result with concessions to the Scots over devolution to try and put out a fire he knew he'd started.

Clever but very dangerous stuff.

I agree. Some say the Murdock press makes no difference and it is arrogant to think people can't make up their own minds and just believe the headlines. Well if that was the case, why do politicians work so hard to court Murdock, even Blair?

Edited by poppet2

According to the Birmingham Mail :

If they lost their seat, they'll receive their final chunk of salary on the last working day of the month, which will be May 29 - but they are only paid for the period up to and including polling day, on May 7.

They’ll be eligible for a “resettlement” payment equal to one month’s salary for every year they have been an MP, up to a maximum of six months...so anyone who has been an MP for six years or longer will get £33,530

They can also claim any expenses they incurred up to polling day related to their work as an MP (eg, office costs or staffing costs).

And then they get a “winding up budget”, which allows them to claim expenses related to the cost of winding up their Parliamentary business for up to two months after polling day.

This includes staff salaries, office rent and travel costs - and the cost of cleaning out their offices, including moving equipment out.

The winding up budget is £53,950, or £57,150 for MPs representing London constituencies.

Former MPs can claim the cost of rent of a home or hotel accommodation for up to a maximum of two months after Polling Day while they wind up their parliamentary business. (This only applies to those who were eligible for accommodation costs while they were an MP.)

Edit : I trust that, when they decide to register at their local Job Centre, they will be expected to attend and sign on a daily basis?

Edited by RiffRaff