How did the polls call the election so wrong?

On the run up to the election Labour and Conservatives were neck and neck in the polls. The SNP were strong but no one could imagine that they would take 46 seats.

When the exit poll came out no one believed it. But in the ballot the Tories took 21% more votes than Labour. How did the polls call it so so wrong?

The answer to your question will be published after the independent enquiry on the matter, so there is no point speculating on the subject.

Edited by poppet2

I wonder that too. David Dimbleby did ask Professor John Curtice about this. Curtice rather skated over this and said that he got the exit pools correct. But he did say that as in 1992, when again the polls were incorrect, that polls tended to overestimate Labour gains and underestimate Conservative ones.

The SNP were strong but no one could imagine that they would take 46 seats.

Do you mean win or gain 46 seats? They had been tipped to get over 50 seats by quite a few polls so it wasn't that much of a surprise.

There is a body of thought which believes that opinion polls are being used to try and influence how you vote.

In other words to big up the preferred party of those people paying for the opinion poll to be carried out.

There is a body of thought which believes that opinion polls are being used to try and influence how you vote.

In other words to big up the preferred party of those people paying for the opinion poll to be carried out.

I thought that the conspiracy went the other way, play down the chances of a party to encourage their supporters to make the effort to come out and vote.

Not all the polls got it wrong, the exit poll called the election spot on. There was talk of this time internet sampling was taken as the primary type of polling for the first time this year, but I can't see how that would have an effect upon things.

is it because theyre all bollicks?

is it because theyre all bollicks?

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Guest sibon
How did the polls call it so so wrong?

Because Tory voters are a bunch of lying hypocrites:D

Obviously.

Because Tory voters are a bunch of lying hypocrites:D

Obviously.

Someone told me that it was because Labour supporters are all on benefits and can't be bothered to get out of bed to vote. They just claim they will vote when someone rings. Although I think when the polsters rang here they got through to our gardener.

It is however reassuring to think the Tories can go into an election neck and neck with Labour and still get 21% more votes. :)

Edited by evil woman

Someone told me that it was because Labour voters are all on benefits and can't be bothered to get out of bed to vote.

And I bet you believed them :hihi:

Guest sibon
Someone told me that it was because Labour voters are all on benefits and can't be bothered to get out of bed to vote.

Did you get out of bed to check?

Tory voters are clearly a bunch of feckless liars.