Is it acceptable to give time left on parking to someone else?

is it acceptable to give your parking ticket to another person if there is still a few hours left to run and would you accept a ticket from someone ?

I do it often but with more places using your reg number as part of the ticket ID its getting harder to be kind to a stranger these days.

I have always passed my ticket on. Well when I had the car. But most machines have a keypad to input ur reg number.

I once offered a parking ticket when coming out of the hospital to a woman, it turned out she was a local councillor and gave me a telling off (bet she claimed her parking ticket on her expenses thou):hihi:

Depends really. A car park I use alot the minimum I can park is 2 hours. I rarely need that amount of time so I sometimes pass it on. However while ever the councillor you met belongs to a party (ie any of the main 3) that allows huge gaps in legislation so massive companies pay zero corporation tax on massive profits I'd tell them to shove her parking ticket where the sun don't shine.

Ironically, local authorities have taken steps to stop people doing it ie by making drivers input their reg number. I don't have a problem with that. If only national governments were as proactive on bigger issues.

Yes, when I get a day rider on the tram I often pass it on to someone else once I don't need it.

Not being able to pass it on seems downright vindictive.

The council have decided upon a fee for the occupation of a parking space for a specific period of time.

That fee has been paid, what business is it of the councils who paid it?

The installation of keypads to prevent what used to be a minor act of kindness between strangers is pitiful.

I notice that whilst they have taken the trouble of installing meters with keypads and even ones that speak to you giving advice about leaving items in the car, they didn't bother installing any that give you change.

A few years ago in Dublin I didn't have the correct change so overpaid and started to walk away as you would in Sheffield, to my astonishment I heard the sound of change rattling in the receptacle.

A passer by noticed and started laughing at my surprise, I explained how we do things in my home town and he suggested that our council were a robbing bunch of gits, I did not disagree.

That fee has been paid, what business is it of the councils who paid it?

I'm guessing their logic is, the time you've left the space in order for the other car to take it is classed as vacant...albeit a few seconds.

Yes, when I get a day rider on the tram I often pass it on to someone else once I don't need it.

I do. The reason is because I was only traveling from meadowhall to Carbrook. It's £1.20. I don't mind paying. A very handsome chap offered me a ticket as I was getting on the tram. I offered him the cash. He said no thanks. So I now offer my day rider to anyone waiting. Call it a random act of kindness.

I do. The reason is because I was only traveling from meadowhall to Carbrook. It's £1.20. I don't mind paying. A very handsome chap offered me a ticket as I was getting on the tram. I offered him the cash. He said no thanks. So I now offer my day rider to anyone waiting. Call it a random act of kindness.

That will've been me ;)

I agree, the time has been paid for, and my conscience is clear about passing a ticket on (or accepting one, for that matter).

And those stupid greedy machines that don't give change (and don't accept 5p pieces) make me more cross than is good for me. Why don't they just make the parking fee £1 an hour instead of pretending it is 90p, then refusing to give change?

Makes you want to use public transport!