At what point do I appoint a solicitor??

Either, regardless of what Jeffrey says you are largely right about who does most of the work, and that's because it is usually very straight forward.

Or you are wrong, in which case every time a house is bought or sold the likes of Jeffrey, with their razer sharp legal minds have reputedly poured over every detail and gone through it with a fine tooth comb. Given that in the majority of cases nothing will have changed since the last conveyance, 9 times out of 10 you would be on perfectly safe ground if you asked a monkey to do the conveyancing:hihi:

I'm not saying that there are no situations in which I would involve a solicitor, of course there may be some, just that I get tired of them trying to make everything they do sound so jolly difficult and complicated!

One thing essential to all legal work is the elimination of spelling errors which would allow some ambiguity to jeopardise a safe transaction.