Laurence and Co Letting Agent?

I don't rent with them (yet?) but have been ringing them repeatedly for 2 days about a property we want to view and it just rings on to answerphone every time, not a great first impression! Anyway I've left a message so now I'm waiting for them to get back to me. Some of the reviews on here really worry me, I can't stand nosy landlords and threatening to evict you for hanging out your laundry is ridiculous! However the flat I'm looking at is a 1 minute walk from work if I get the new job I'm in the running for so I have to at least look into it. I'll see what I think for myself and let you guys know.

Never heard back from them! Not great customer service!

I never rented a property from them, however I lived for 9 years right round the corner from them and pass them every day. So they've been there a looong time.

And recently when I want to rent my house out, finally came in the door and was told: "We're not taking any new landlords"

Hmm, interesting experience with them.

Rented with them for almost 18months. Left in the end after being asked for an extra deposit as they felt our bicycles were causing a damp problem! Ok there were 5 in the living room, but as far as I know they do not respirate. There was damp in all rooms, hallway/stairs. And we were blamed for this. We were told to leave the windows open as "all old houses had this problem" but this would be a security risk for us. My partner couldn't breathe as her asthma became worse than it has ever been. Instead of paying the extra deposit I decided to look elsewhere and they found someone to take over my tenancy, charging him £50 more a month. Felt a bit put out that we had to move, but now we have moved we are able to breathe as our new place has no damp (they used to paint over any damp patches) and much more space.

There were slugs in the living room so we had to take the dog's bowls and toys out at night to avoid them being contaminated. After we reported it they said they would seal the edges of the room. We went on holiday for the week, moved all our furniture into the centre of the room to allow them to do this and on our return there were still gaps and it was a very poor job. Speaking of poor workmanship, the front room sagged and when we reported this the maintenence chap propped it up in the cellar with a mix of different pieces of wood he found, all stacked on top of each other. Unbelieveable.

To ammuse me, my ex neighbours have informed me that the new tennant was caught growing drugs and the police raided, costing L&C lots having to replace door, redecorate, and lost rent due to the tennant going awol.

A couple of times the maintenence man went in without our permission, and once got rather cross when they knocked and we refused as they had not given 24hours notice.

They never arranged a check-up visit, which is fine but I think this is where their business sense goes out of the window.

Note that the family business has been passed to the daughter due to the loss of her father, founder of the company. I think this was last year or 1 before - from what I hear their reputation has decreased since.

As far as I'm aware they own and manage the properties themselves, just operate as 2 different businesses, which might be why the earlier poster wasn't able to get them to manage his property.

It's a shame the major part of their business lets them down because they are approachable and friendly people.

Edited by lucypt
additional information

Hi lucypt. It's seems you have had quite a few problems and clearly we have failed to meet your expectations in a number of areas but I don't feel you have given a full a response as you might!!! We have many houses on our books and it is true from time to time we do have to deal with damp but we always always correct the problem as soon as it's identified. In fact we use a very reputable company called timber wise and they did visit your property and advised us that it was condensation and whilst bikes don't breath they clearly came into the property damp!! It is also disappointing that don't mention that we offered you free of charge to secure your out house for your bikes or a garage only 5 minutes from your home, again free. We are sorry our maintenance team came in to your home without prior warning and we have taken steps to make sure that it doesn't happen again, I guess the good news is we do have a maintenance team and do act promptly.

Edited by LauranceandC

All laurance and co customers if you have a problem with any maintenance that needs attention please call us immediately as we will only be to happy to help. Laurance and Co has been established since 1939 and we pride ourself on the service we provide and so we are shocked at some of the comments posted as we have no idea which of our customers they related to.

We look forward to your calls, our number is 0114 255 4571 or 0114 258 8884.

If you are looking for accommodation our website is http://www.lauranceandco.co.uk

Laurance and Co

Email info@lauranceandco.co.uk

Edited by LauranceandC

I rented a property with a friend from Lawrence and Co about 3 years ago. They were very friendly and polite. Until we moved in of course. We were mislead about elements of the property, including a "wardrobe" that actually housed the boiler. Kitchen was infested with silverfish. The basement was sodden. To list but a few.

Also to be endured were the numerous unannounced visits, the proprietor would just show up and let himself in with little or no warning. We both worked nights so were often in bed when he chose to do so. He would have claimed to have rung either one or both of us in advance, on the rare occassion this was actually true, when he got no reply due to us being asleep, he'd just come around anyway. Lawrence and co seemed to think they could just come and go whenever they pleased.

One memorable occassion towards the end of the lease, Mr Lawrence arrived unannounced, let himself in, then led two prospective tennants up two flights of stairs and straight into my room without knocking, while I was still sleeping in it! Gave me a real fright! He didn't even apologise. Instead took me to one side and asked me "Make sure you tidy the place up a bit for next time". The sheer gall was astounding.

I wouldn't let from these cowboys again if they were the last letting agency in Yorkshire.

Such entry without authority from the tenant (T) is in law harassment, a criminal offence.

Sounds like if you are a landlord with a crap property to let,you are ok, but if you are a tenant beware!

I viewed a property of theirs and was very unimpressed.