Do i need planning permission

To remove a chimney breast. Its in the kitchen and want to make the room bigger when we have a new kitchen fitted. The upper part of the chimney will need supporting correctly with a beam.

Will i need planning permission or anything.Was told i might need to mention it to our neighbour too and agree to it? is this true im unsure what the process is to getting it done

To remove a chimney breast. Its in the kitchen and want to make the room bigger when we have a new kitchen fitted. The upper part of the chimney will need supporting correctly with a beam.

Will i need planning permission or anything.Was told i might need to mention it to our neighbour too and agree to it? is this true im unsure what the process is to getting it done

You will need building regulations approval and will have to conform to party wall act if it on the wall which joins to your neighbour.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/buildingregulations/buildingpolicyandlegislation/currentlegislation/partywallact

http://www.communities.gov.uk/publications/planningandbuilding/partywall

Maybe you should post this in the housing thread, where experts can advise you.

Just had this done...

First you need to let your neighbour know, due to the party wall act. They need to give a written reply that they are happy for it to go ahead.

You need to a structural engineer in to assess how to best support the remaining chimney ~ £180

Then you need to inform the council about it. They will send someone around to check if it has been done right. ~ £180

Then costs of the steel beam and the labour to knock the chimney down, and a skip.

Just had this done...

First you need to let your neighbour know, due to the party wall act. They need to give a written reply that they are happy for it to go ahead.

You need to a structural engineer in to assess how to best support the remaining chimney ~ £180

Then you need to inform the council about it. They will send someone around to check if it has been done right. ~ £180

Then costs of the steel beam and the labour to knock the chimney down, and a skip.

didnt want to hear that my neighbours arent the best, what if they dont agree? what did it cost you do do yours roughly all finished

look here http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/planningandbuilding/pdf/133214.pdf

and this relates to the neighbours

What if I cannot reach agreement with the

Adjoining Owners on the work to be done to the

party wall?

The best way of settling any point of difference is by friendly discussion with your

neighbour. Agreements must always be put in writing.

If you cannot reach agreement with the Adjoining Owners, the next best thing is to

agree with them on appointing what the Act calls an "Agreed Surveyor" to draw up

an "Award". The Agreed Surveyor should NOT be the same person that you intend to

employ or have already engaged to supervise your building work - see paragraph 12.

Alternatively, each owner can appoint a surveyor to draw up the award together. The

two appointed surveyors will select a third surveyor (who would be called in only if

the two appointed surveyors cannot agree).

In all cases, surveyors appointed under the dispute resolution procedure of the Act

must consider the interests and rights of both owners and draw up an award

impartially.

Their duty is to resolve matters in dispute in a fair and practical way.

Where separate surveyors are appointed by each owner, the surveyors must liaise

with their appointing owners and put forward the respective owners’ preferred

outcome. However, the surveyors do not act as advocates for the respective owners.

They must always act within their statutory jurisdiction and jointly prepare a fair and

impartial award.

The whole thing cost around £1200, but could probably save money by knocking the bricks out yourself. Hard work though.

you cant have a friendly discussion with my neighbour, if you knew him youd know what I mean. id rather send a letter by post and see what happens I think