Is it racist to commment on Afro hair?

I wouldn't have used the word black nor afro carribean but that's me.

I said it pretty clearly: his comment is not racist at all.

what would you call it then? It is a hair type that is distinguished from european curly hair. Out of interest I wiki'd it:

"Afro-textured hair may have initially evolved because of an adaptive need (amongst humanity's hominid ancestors) for protection against the intense UV radiation of Africa. Subsequently (and/or additionally), because the relatively sparse density of Afro-hair, combined with its springy coils, results in an airy, almost sponge-like effect, the resulting increased circulation of cool air onto the scalp may have served to facilitate our hominid ancestors' body-temperature-regulation while they lived in the open savannah. Further, Afro-hair does not respond as easily to moisture/sweat as straight hair. Thus, instead of sticking to the neck and scalp when wet (as do straighter textures), unless totally drenched, it tends to retain its basic springy puffiness. In this sense, in addition to the above-listed causes, the trait may have also been retained/preferred among many equatorial human groups because of its contribution to enhanced comfort levels under warm conditions. Finally, sexual selection based on visual and/or tactile socio-aesthetics may have also and/or further contributed to this trait's ubiquity in certain regions."

Edited by llamatron

i personaly dont think your comment was racist at all, u were mearly saying that black people would have to spend more time on their hair, having said that, a while ago i read on one of the forums such as this that a woman asked for a black coffee in a cafe, and was sternly told she couldnt do that she had to order a coffee without milk, make of this what u will.

My best friend is mixed race, and mentioning 'afro' or black is nothing! He and I do?

Afro-Caribbean hair is drier than 'Causasian' hair, that's all. Many families have black/white distant ancestors from a couple of centuries ago that defy their currently accepted racial make-up. Sometimes the skin/hair of a person can be a 'throw back'?

Too many folk are uptight, unsure what to say/do, or latently racist.

My best friend is mixed race, and mentioning 'afro' or black is nothing! He and I do?

Afro-Caribbean hair is drier than 'Causasian' hair, that's all. Many families have black/white ancestors that defy their current racial make-up. Sometimes the skin/hair of a person can be a 'thro back'?

Too many folk are uptight, unsure what to say/do, or latently racist.

Thats strange, my hair is fine but I regularly keep getting called a thro back.