Does anyone know the answer to this?

If there are 2 houses both purchased and mortgage free, can the owners just swap deeds over and houses instead of buying and selling first?

I would say that stamp duty would still be payable?

Payable on what though if no money changes hands?

Purchase price is zero so no stamp duty needs to be paid. You would need to pay a solicitor to do the deed swapping though I should imagine.

Just found this on Moneywise

"Although no money changes hands, stamp duty land tax will be due on the market value of both properties swapped, because 'consideration' in the form of the property values is changing hands," explains Frank Nash, tax partner at accountancy firm Blick Rothenberg.

Provided both properties have always been used as the main home, there will be no capital gains tax to pay. But Nash warns: "If a home had been previously let, some CGT might be payable."

Talk to a solicitor...

You don't need a solicitor (though it might be advisable to use one, get the searches done, complete the sellers enquiry forms, have a survey etc. to avoid surprises and unexpected issues later.). Use land registry forms found at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/registered-titles-whole-transfer-tr1 and use the land registry guidance. You will have to pay the relevant fees and taxes.

Truman....Is that English law?

Blick Rothenberg are a firm of London based accountants so I would say yes it's English law.

No. SD does not apply to property.

---------- Post added 26-01-2017 at 15:23 ----------

"Although no money changes hands, stamp duty land tax will be due on the market value of both properties swapped, because 'consideration' in the form of the property values is changing hands," explains Frank Nash, tax partner at accountancy firm Blick Rothenberg.

Provided both properties have always been used as the main home, there will be no capital gains tax to pay. But Nash warns: "If a home had been previously let, some CGT might be payable."

Yes. The only 'exchange' transactions outside SDLT are:

a. those between connected parties (= family members, companies in dame group, etc.); and

b. those involving a developer taking P's old property in part-payment for a new property.