Living in a wind tunnel

My house has (allegedly) been ,roof insulated,, cavity wall filled, New double glazed windows throughout (fact) and new doors (fact).Yet,

when the wind blows, it comes through the house, rather than around it.

Is there a company ,who can trace this problem, and fix it. It is a council built property, and regrettably,, no longer owned by them.

Do you have a basement or vented, suspended floors at ground floor level? A draught coming up through the floor would be the only thing I could think of. How good are the seals around the doors and windows? The onus is on you to investigate this, and I'd recommend you use a lit incense stick and run it around the doors, windows, skirting boards and fireplaces, for a start.

I did ask for a company to do the job,,,A whizz round the house with a Joss stick,

is not the answer, .Onus does not enter the picture. qualified person is needed.

I don't suppose you fit that bill. ??????

Wind can go under the floor and up the chimney sometimes in to the living room.

Also do you have a bathroom and kitchen fan, if so make sure they have a back draft shutter installed to stop wind from blowing in.

I would use some smoke bombs on a windy day outside the house to see where its blowing through too.

Fair enough. Your best bet for impartial advice and recommendations with regards an energy performance expert would be South Yorkshire Energy Centre (SYEC):

Contact Details:

Heeley City Farm

Richards Road

Sheffield, S2 3DT

T : 0114 3039981

enquiries@syec.co.uk

Lilacover, I am sure HJL was only trying to help and save you some money- no need to blow back his advice back in his face.

It may be a BREEZE of a job and by simply taking HJL advice could save you some money, instead of BLOWING it away.

I know when it's breezy and windy in my house , normally my husband after eating sprouts!

My house has (allegedly) been ,roof insulated,, cavity wall filled, New double glazed windows throughout (fact) and new doors (fact).Yet,

when the wind blows, it comes through the house, rather than around it.

Is there a company ,who can trace this problem, and fix it. It is a council built property, and regrettably,, no longer owned by them.

Yes, im pretty sure there are companies who can do this, but unless they are cow boys you will be paying time to find the problem and then cost to fix the problem. A few weeks ago we came across a cavity wall which had loft insulation put in it. 15 years later the problems start, a little bit of damp gets into the cavity the insulation is wet and useless. Cost 4 figures to remove it and put it right.

Had windows fitted seal round them looks perfect, but take away the row of bricks beneath the windowsill and looked again and you could actually see the street through a couple of the gaps.

Fire places, vents, and floors are most likely but there are many places where poor workmanship rears its head.