Gutter straight to soil no gulley

Hi,

Just kindly ask some advice from experts here.

I found out that the gutter of my flat roof runs straight down and suddenly goes into a big hole (don't now how deep) filled with soil next to my porch wall. Usually, it should be runs straight into gulley and sewage down right?

Is it a problem? See pic below. Note the left bottom is a black leaf not any pipes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0zenuph8y66mh6s/2016-12-16%2013.29.57.jpg?dl=0

Many thanks,

Shouldnt be a problem thousands of houses in sheff run top water on to surface without connection to a drain. Looks like the big hole its draining in to is meant to be a soakaway / Hole filled with old bricks etc. Top water is clean water [off roofs that is not contaminated ]

Edited by spider1

Guest makapaka
Hi,

Just kindly ask some advice from experts here.

I found out that the gutter of my flat roof runs straight down and suddenly goes into a big hole (don't now how deep) filled with soil next to my porch wall. Usually, it should be runs straight into gulley and sewage down right?

Is it a problem? See pic below. Note the left bottom is a black leaf not any pipes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0zenuph8y66mh6s/2016-12-16%2013.29.57.jpg?dl=0

Many thanks,

Mines same - as long as it's running away somewhere and not pooling and leaving standing water I wouldn't worry about it.

Just seen the pic and it doesn't look ideal to be honest as you will have sitting water and you may start with damp issues.

Edited by Starlc

This looks like it's been there a while. New building regs quote that the soak away should be 5 meters away from property.

This looks like it's been there a while. New building regs quote that the soak away should be 5 meters away from property.

Depends on age of buildings etc !

The soak aways I have worked with usually are on Victorian housing which almost every time uses the front garden as a soak away in which is bang up to the property.

Viewing the picture it isn't very good to be honest and you can see that by the moss and muck from the water which may cause damp issues.

Edited by Starlc

It does look a bit manky though. I would be inclined to take off a few inches and replace with some pebbles or gravel, maintaining the two clear courses below the DPC.

Yes true so get yourself a mini digger and dig a hole a metre deep 5 metre from house fill with hard core and dig a trench from down pipe to hole. Dont forget to notify sheff counci

so they can inspect it and issue a certificate./ or read Handy pandy . :hihi:

Edited by spider1

Yes true so get yourself a mini digger and dig a hole a metre deep 5 metre from house fill with hard core and dig a trench from down pipe to hole. Dont forget to notify sheff counci

so they can inspect it and issue a certificate./ or read Handy pandy . :hihi:

I'd rather read the beano than dig another soakway. Tried telling a customer that the customers original one was fine and just needed top 2ft redoing ( like above an old Victorian soakaway) but they insisted that they wanted one to building regs. Had to dig up hill and to make matters worse we had no access to get a digger in and also two ft down was 4 inch thick stone slabs packed together . Pick, grafter and a spade job done.

I'd rather read the beano than dig another soakway. Tried telling a customer that the customers original one was fine and just needed top 2ft redoing ( like above an old Victorian soakaway) but they insisted that they wanted one to building regs. Had to dig up hill and to make matters worse we had no access to get a digger in and also two ft down was 4 inch thick stone slabs packed together . Pick, grafter and a spade job done.

Sounds like a nightmare ! :)