Any recruitment agencies that do test interviews for feedback?

Hi folks,

My friend works in retail and is looking to move on to another role, in retail or elsewhere. She is getting interviews but has not got a 'yes' as yet and it's been a few months now so it's getting her down a bit.

Anyways I know some recruiters will do 'fake/test' interviews so that real and detailed feedback can be offered so she knows where she's going wrong.

Does anyone know of anyone in Sheffield that offers this service? Obviously I'm not expecting it to be free.

Many thanks!

Paul.

Hi Paul, I reckon that you could pull together your own questions. Ive only interviewed for retail twice and both were a long time ago. First time I hired the best candidate full stop, she lasted 2 weeks, the second time I hired the candidate I thought was most likely still to be in the job a few years later, he is still there 4 years later. Most questions are pretty easy common sense about customer service and enthusiasm for the role or the company, usually with 1 or 2 role play added in. New opening stores often do group hires where they will select from the group, it used to be easy as in 75% would get a job but some places have moved onto a 10% will get the job, just looking for particularly qualities that resonates with target customer group.

Paul, why doesn't your friend go back to the person who interviewed her and ask for 5 minutes of their time and ask? If they cannot be bothered to give her the time, would she have wanted to work for them in the first place...I know I would always give someone feedback on why they didn't get the job if they were to ask me :)

Wishing her well with her job search.

Thanks both for the info :) The problem with some companies is everything goes through HR systems and it's trying to get back in touch with the right person to get the feedback. Some companies are better than others at feedback so we'll see :)

I have dealt with agencies and in all honesty I don't know how some make a living they are that hopeless.

I don't think you can prepare for an interview any better than knowing about the company you want to work for, what the job actually is (and that you are actually qualified for it!) and being relaxed and friendly.

If that's not enough then the job isn't for you.

If you don't understand the fact that people can know all they want about the company they work want to work for and in day to day life are perfectly happy and enthusiastic yet break up in interviews then perhaps offering advice is not for you.

If you don't understand the fact that people can know all they want about the company they work want to work for and in day to day life are perfectly happy and enthusiastic yet break up in interviews then perhaps offering advice is not for you.

Is that directed at me?

Here's some further advice. If your friend wants a job in retail (which sounds like a fancy way of saying working in a shop) which are people facing jobs but your friend flakes out in front of people then perhaps your friend's skills are more suited elsewhere?

Take that on board.

My friend works in retail perfectly well and has done for many years. You seem not to understand the difference between day to day working (whether under pressure, face to face, dealing with customers, whatever) and interview situations. They are completely different psychologically for many people hence me asking for agencies that offer this service.

The very fact that they do this is an indicator that this happens or these services wouldn't be offered.

If you're not actually going to offer an answer to my question then please stop replying as you are not helping.

My friend works in retail perfectly well and has done for many years. You seem not to understand the difference between day to day working (whether under pressure, face to face, dealing with customers, whatever) and interview situations. They are completely different psychologically for many people hence me asking for agencies that offer this service.

The very fact that they do this is an indicator that this happens or these services wouldn't be offered.

If you're not actually going to offer an answer to my question then please stop replying as you are not helping.

Yes, it's well understood that people get nervous during interviews. Especially by recruitment agencies who offer services such as you require to make money.

If you can't see that a practice interview is therefore different psychologically to the real thing then you are beyond help but I refer you back to post 5 nonetheless.

Trust me, I know more about recruitment than you.

...a practice interview is therefore different psychologically to the real thing...

True, but that doesn't mean that a practice wouldn't help. My driving test, for example, was psychologically different from the lessons - but the situation felt familiar and not scary precisely because my instructor had made me drive around typical test routes several times before.

True, but that doesn't mean that a practice wouldn't help. My driving test, for example, was psychologically different from the lessons - but the situation felt familiar and not scary precisely because my instructor had made me drive around typical test routes several times before.

I never said practice wouldn't help. I said recruitment agents in my experience are useless and only after making money for themselves.

Asking for feedback after a failed interview is reasonable but don't expect it to be totally candid. They would not likely say, 'we just didn't like you.' It will often be a standard line about more suitable candidates getting the job.

Generally after a job interview you should have an idea if you have got it or not. Was it over quicker than expected? Did it become more like a friendly chat? How many times did you say 'I don't know?' A little self-awareness goes a long way. If you flake out and become a stuttering incoherent mess during the interview that's why you haven't got it. Do you really need feedback for that? If the questions were too hard had you applied for the wrong job? If you thought they gave you a hard time unfairly are you not glad you didn't get the job? Imagine working for them!

I would advise taking Kalms for a few days (read the packet, I think it's a few days) before the interview. They work.

Edited by Santo