Toyota And Nissan In 6.5 Million Airbag Recall

There was a time in the USA where Ford discovered a major safety issue on one of its cars. They carried on regardless as the compensation to those killed was less than the cost of putting the faults right.

That was the Ford Pinto, more information on the fault HERE.

I've had two recalls done over the past few years for air bag problems on my Honda Accord. I'd still buy another Honda tomorrow if I had to.

Took the dust sheets off the MX5 at the weekend, not touched it in the last 6 or 7 months (garage-hibernated mid-Oct'14 IIRC). 17 springs young, and everything original throughout (except tyres and filters/plugs, of course).

Checked the levels and visually the belts, all good. Reconnected the battery and cranked it. First turn of the key, first catch of the starter motor. Tappets were unsurprisingly a bit noisy for the first 5 mins (due a service and oil change), and brakes a bit scratchy/crunchy to begin with, but all silent/absolutely fine after engine started to warm up and a few 'clearing' applications of brakes.

I'd not been out with 15 minutes this morning (1st time, insured and taxed it last night) that some guy was already asking me at the lights if it's for sale. Eeeeh - no. ;)

Well that's just depressing.

Mine's going to have to sit on the drive -whilst having a good long think about what it's done and until it's sorry- 'till I can afford to fix it :(

Well this latest recall seems to suggest the airbags are not that reliable, is it a question that really needs answering?

Reliability of a car in the context of manufacturers is almost always about mechanical reliability. So a problem that they've found with an airbag, which will be replaced for free, has no bearing on their reputation for reliability IMO.

Germans too ................. had my BMW re-called, collected, re-turned.

And that was some time ago.