Do you feel any sympathy for the MPs who lost their seats?

Ex-MPs will do alright for themselves so they don't need sympathy. It's the people who are going to be on the receiving end of a new wave of Tory cuts and the 1 million people who are going to lose their jobs as part of it who I feel sympathy for, not just because they'll be hurting financially but because they'll be told that it's their own fault and they deserve it.

One last bill for taxpayers… Ousted Ed Balls walks away with £88,000 'golden goodbye'

OUSTED Ed Balls is to walk away from the Commons with a taxpayer-funded pay out worth £88,000, it emerged tonight.

The former shadow chancellor, beaten by a Tory in last week’s general election in his Morley and Outwood constituency, is among departing MPs getting a total of £11.5million in “golden goodbyes.”

Its not a lesson to them all, the MP that apparently represents my area as had the job for 32 years and will have the job until he decides he no longer wants the job.

Same in my area..he's been there ages and will be there until he's had enough..

Edited by truman

One last bill for taxpayers… Ousted Ed Balls walks away with £88,000 'golden goodbye'

OUSTED Ed Balls is to walk away from the Commons with a taxpayer-funded pay out worth £88,000, it emerged tonight.

The former shadow chancellor, beaten by a Tory in last week’s general election in his Morley and Outwood constituency, is among departing MPs getting a total of £11.5million in “golden goodbyes.”

I think it is right that they should get the parachute thing.

What other job - do you not know whether "tomorrow" you're going to be on a ministerial salary or on nothing at all? We need to encourage the best people to be politicians. they need to be paid well with good conditions. They have every aspect of their lives scrutinised - more so than a celebrity - and with a fraction of the pay to compensate for inconvenience.

Yes and the funny thing is Tories between 2007 - 2011 united with the SNP in Holyrood to try to thwart Labour. But that's okay, apparently.

Yes because that was in Holyrood not Westminster. The SNP would have had a unfair influence over Britain as a whole had they been part of a coalition.

Ex-MPs will do alright for themselves so they don't need sympathy. It's the people who are going to be on the receiving end of a new wave of Tory cuts and the 1 million people who are going to lose their jobs as part of it who I feel sympathy for, not just because they'll be hurting financially but because they'll be told that it's their own fault and they deserve it.

Which 1 million people will lose their jobs?

Let this be a lesson to them all, we are your masters.

Baroness Warsi did O.K her nose got deeper into the trough by the day;)

Not really considering the £88,000 golden hand shake they receive when losing their seat.

Ed Balls will receive a £33,000 “resettlement” package for having served in the Commons for more than six years and £53,850 in expenses to close down his office.

The first 5 years of cuts seem to have created 2 million jobs. I don't see why we should be losing 1 million jobs as the Tories continue to clear up Labours mess. Perhaps you should change the record. Miliband & Balls tried pedaling your line at the election. No one believed them.

13 years of Labour government resulted in an increase in unemployment. 5 years of coalition dramatically reduced it.

Edited by evil woman