Can anyone help in identifying St Matthias School

Hope this is not an abuse of the forum, but I am wondering if anyone knows of, or can remember St Matthias School in Sheffield. We are looking into our family history, and my grandfather (who unfortunately is no-longer here to tell us) went to St Matthias School. He lived some of his childhood in the Owenton area. It must have been around the 1920s. We would love to know where this school was / is. can anyone help in identifying this school?

St.Matthias was on Summerfield Street, off Ecclesall Road. Try on the Sheffield History and Ex-Pats link for more information.

• Confused 1

I can only seem to find evidence of the St Matthias church at this location. was there a school there too?

I believe there was a St. Matthias C of E. School very near to the Church, it may have been merged with Pomona Street School at some stage.

The school was actually on Parliament Street , where Parliament Street , Napier Street and another Street [ which ran from Napier St. up to Cemetery Rd. Maybe Pembroke St. ? ] met at the junction .

I went to Pomona St. school from 1949 to 1953 and St. Matthias was going strong then .

that is fantastic. thanks. does anyone know when it closed?

I went to St. Matthias in 1942-3 my last year at school,it was a very poor school being Cof E,I had been to Derbyshire lane before that and I was at least a year in front of the kids who'd been there any length of time.One of the teachers was Miss Kendall and the Head was Mr. Beresford.

St Matthias School was on Parliament Street/ Napier Street off Summerfield Street which in turn was just off Ecclesall Road in Sheffield 10 district.I went to the school from 1951 to 1954.The headmaster was Mr Beresford and I recall some of the other teachers at the time Mr Watson Mr Crawshaw Mr Roache Mrs Harrison and some of my school chums John Westrey Cyril Jackson Christine Rushby Keith Wade Ann Lockwood Carol Wildgoose Norman Porter.

I recall that every teacher had a cane and it was used frequently for the least little misdemeanour.For all that I enjoyed my time there before I left after passing the 11 plus exam.

I returned to Sheffield for a fleeting visit in 2010.The school was clearly demolished several years ago and the site is now occupied by an insurance company I believe.

Mu mum went to St. Matthias school. I do remember her telling me that but I had forgotten that fact until you jogged my memory. I know that they lived in that area between the bottom of Ecclesall Road and Cemetery Road. Her name was Margaret (Madge) Stevenson she would have attended there in the 1920s though.

Grannypat

I have ascertained that St Matthias primary school on Napier/Parliament street was demolished circa.1960/61.

Thanks Kidneystone for the great photos.It seems from the photos as if the school was still there in 1966 so perhaps the historical data suggesting that it was demolished circa 1960/61 may have referred to the date of the actual demolition order and that it was a few years later that the school was finally pulled down.