Mulberry Tavern

The Mulberry opened on the site of the old pub on November the 6th 1976. The first licensee was Mick Lee.

Marti Caine opened the place. Herol Bomber Graham was the barman, Steve Cheetham was assistant manager, Chuck Charlesworth was a barman (later at Golden ball Campo Lane Blue Ball Hillsborough and for many years Three Cranes.

Mick Lee stayed there for about 5 years, during that time it was one of, if not the, best pub in town. No bouncers, lovely bar staff (Big Angie where are you?)

Mick was a smashing bloke, when we were on strike in the late 80s he always stood us a pint. When Blunkett and co flew the red flag on top of the Town hall, he made sure the pub was decked out in union jacks.

I hope the new owners make a real good go of it.

Some of the earlier posts mention Police raids, There were none when Mick was there, if there was any trouble all you needed was an ambulance. To cart away the trouble causers.

'

"He made sure the place was decked out in union jacks". It was a "white van man " pub then. Very classy. A traditional real ale pub just has to be better.

Good luck Fiona.

I can recall the old mulberry tavern the entrance was on the side road off Norfolk st, I remember going in there in the 60s and surprised to see saw dust on the floor can anyone else remember that, and the old Albert on Cambridge st, always packed with students, and the heavy smell of Moroccan woodbines , and the one that slips my mind at the other end of Cambridge st frequented by lots of market traders and young ladies with loose morals

I can recall the old mulberry tavern the entrance was on the side road off Norfolk st, I remember going in there in the 60s and surprised to see saw dust on the floor can anyone else remember that, and the old Albert on Cambridge st, always packed with students, and the heavy smell of Moroccan woodbines , and the one that slips my mind at the other end of Cambridge st frequented by lots of market traders and young ladies with loose morals

The entrance was on Mulberry Street, off Norfolk Street. You never saw sawdust on the floor though. Landlord was Bill Nolan, who was succeeded by his son Mick, now a resident in Tenerife.

Regarding the ladies of easy virtue in the Barleycorn, on Cambridge Street, you never saw one go in the ladies loo did you?

The entrance was on Mulberry Street, off Norfolk Street. You never saw sawdust on the floor though. Landlord was Bill Nolan, who was succeeded by his son Mick, now a resident in Tenerife.

Regarding the ladies of easy virtue in the Barleycorn, on Cambridge Street, you never saw one go in the ladies loo did you?

the only pub I can remember with sawdust on the floor was the old Cannon

Mulberry Tavern in the 60's - a great place and probably one of the first pubs to have a carvery on Fridays the hot pork sandwiches were great. Can remember clearly going in one Christmas Eve and everyone was singing Sloop John B by the Beach Boys - it went on for ages everybody singing their heads off. No trouble just good days.

I remember we used to call in the Mulberry, Blue Bell and the Dove and Rainbow before moving on to the Mustard Seed or Down Broadway. One night in the Mulberry we found the pinball glass was cracked. Some discreet twiddling about with a borrowed tail comb soon saw the replays clock up and a unusually large crowd appeared around it when got word round. The machine was soon switched off as no one around it was drinking !

With regard to the new one when Bomber Graham worked there for some of the time the landlord was Geoff Bowers he either came from - or went to the West Street Hotel.

Edited by mickyboy

It was shut tonight...what's gone orf?

it's a gay club now.

god how times change

---------- Post added 20-03-2014 at 11:52 ----------

one of my favorite haunts in the 70s, ahem, there were some very very good looking ladies used to frequent the mulberry, hence my attendance:hihi:

I cant remember the landlords name a big barrel chested guy always laughing, and of course he had bomber graham pulling pints.

After the buccaneer and the albert the mulberry has to be one of the best pubs sheffield ever had.

there were lots of similar types of pubs in that area in the mid. 60s

I have already asked this in the 80's thread, but does anyone remember the name of the bar above the Mulberry in the 80's/90's? Was a bit more wine bar type that you could access from the Mulberry entrance and up the stairs or from the lane at the back. Me and the OH used to go in but can't for the life of us remember its name.....