Snake or Woodhead Pass : Which Sheffield to Manchester route?

Hi All,

When I go to Manchester from Sheffield,, I go over the A57 (snake pass), but I have heard people talk about going to Manchester through Woodhead.

Can someone give me the directions of this route, or even point it out on something like Multimap so I can try this sometime?

thanks

it depends which side of the city you live on i think. For me, getting across to Woodhead is goin well out of my way so snake pass is much better. plus Woodhead is a very boring drive as there are those average speed check cameras everywhere!

Snake is closed today due to a landslide.

The Snake is normally quicker (depending where you're going from).

Woodhead pass is the A628.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=woodhead+reservoir&sll=53.486207,-1.803818&sspn=0.05914,0.187111&ie=UTF8&ll=53.455758,-1.689835&spn=0.236728,0.748444&z=11&om=0

(Google link doesn't work very well)

You start by getting to the A616, north of the city.

If you live on the north side, just follow Penistone Road, A61/A629 out through Grenoside.

If you live Centrally, or South it is often quicker to nip onto the M1 and go North to Junction 35a, A616.

After the Stocksbridge bypass, a roundabout will sign you onto the A628, Manchester which takes you over the pass and you will meet the Snake Road/A57 on the other side at Hollingworth, before the M67.

Map

i'd avoid woodhead pass if i were you - i used to go that way but was always getting stuck in long delays at rush hour through tinitwhistle. You also always end up getting stuck behind all the slow lorries too so snakepass is a much quicker route to Manchester.

Does anyone know when snakepass will reopen? - i've gone via the a6 the last couple of days which is a bit of a nightmare through hazelgrove and stockport.

I used to live near the M1 and travelled to MCR regularly . I found the quickest way was to burn up the M1 onto the M62 and get on MCR ringroad. Usually, depending on what time of day, it is a clear run, takes more fuel but cuts a lot of time off travelling. Takes about an hour.

I live over the other side of Sheff now tho and take the way near Fox House then onto the Snake. Hobsons choice with both Woodhead and the Snake.

Wsh they would build a flyover tunnel or something to MCR from Sheff, charge a fiver a time to use it then it would be much quicker.

Bear in mind that both passes end up at the same place in Mottram, so it's really only worth using the one nearest to you in Sheffield. You'll end up in a traffic jam which ever one you use.

Both are full of idiots who only care about getting past anything doing less than 70mph.

Bear in mind that both passes end up at the same place in Mottram, so it's really only worth using the one nearest to you in Sheffield. You'll end up in a traffic jam which ever one you use.

Both are full of idiots who only care about getting past anything doing less than 70mph.

This must be Britain's most ridiculous bottle neck and nothing, ever, ever gets done about it.

Here, we have a major route which meets two narrow side roads. Traffic lights seem to favour the side roads and the result is a slow crawl either uphill or along a road between two petrol stations and a not very pleasant housing estate.

And yet, either side of this bit of ribbon development, is nothing but fields, land aplenty to build a by-pass. This debacle has gone on for years and years.

Getting rid of the lights would be a start; building a by-pass is a must. Ask Gordon Brown for some lolly. Apparently he's just given the Indians £725,000,000 of our hard earned cash.

Thanks all - seems like the snake is best bet for me....if it reopens! Any ideas when this might be?

It is shut for a week from glossop to ladybower. big landslide

looks like im going to have to go over woodhead this saturday then