Sick notes and Jobseekers

Can someone in the know help me out. I've been on Jobseekers for 9 months, now I'm on income based jobseekers due to having saved up too much for my old age (I'm 58 and worked all my life). I'm having a operation which could put me on sick leave for 2 to 3 weeks. Can I get any sick leave money from dwp if I come off jobseekers for this period. If I can't I may as well keep signing on as I can get to the jobcentre, just got to be carefull what I do and plenty of rest. I don't relish the thought of hanging on the phone for half hour plus then having a 45 minute question session for no monetary gain if I come off jobseekers for only a short while. Thanks for any help.

i wish i could answer this for you, but you know what they are like, they say one thing on the phone and another when you get down there :(

if it was me i would just sign on like normal and not give them the chance to under-pay you in some way.

good luck :)

Dont know the going on with jobseekers but if its only going to affect you for 2 or 3 weeks i would stay as you are ,avoid a mountain of forms.

stay as you are hun. with a sick note they will put you on income support for the 3 wk then put u back on js when ur sicknote finishes causing lots of paperwork and a delay in getting paid. your allowed 2 wk paid holiday so tell them you will be away for your signing date and for bout wk after tell them a caravan site in skeggi or similar that will get you out of it

stay as you are hun. with a sick note they will put you on income support for the 3 wk then put u back on js when ur sicknote finishes causing lots of paperwork and a delay in getting paid. your allowed 2 wk paid holiday so tell them you will be away for your signing date and for bout wk after tell them a caravan site in skeggi or similar that will get you out of it

A 2 week paid holiday? From what?

A 2 week paid holiday? From what?

i no lol last time i was on js sometime the other year. i was going on hol for a wk which happened to be my signing wk and was told you are allowed 2 wk holiday from looking for work, as long as you tell them wher you are so they can contact you not that they did also you cant go out of the country

You are allowed to be ill for up to two weeks and still be considered to be capable for work providing you continues to meet all the other basic criteria for JSA except those relating to being available for work and actively seeking work.

If you are ill for longer than two weeks then your JSA will be stopped and you will need to claim either income support or employment and support allowance.

You can only be ill twice in any one period of claiming JSA.

If you have claimed JSA for longer than one year then you can be ill twice in every year.

After your illness you will be asked to sign a written declaration which indicates the period when you were unwell.

If you are ill for a third time during a period of claiming or during any subsequent year your JSA will be stopped and you will need to claim either ESA or IS instead.

If you are ill up to eight weeks after a period in which you were entitled to:

incapacity benefit; or

severe disablement allowance; or

statutory sick pay; or

income support with a disability premium on incapacity grounds;

then your JSA will be stopped and you will need to claim your previous benefit again.

http://www.benefitsnow.co.uk/jsa/capable.asp

from looking for work....

:hihi::hihi::hihi:....sorry,you were serious weren't you?

:hihi::hihi::hihi:....sorry,you were serious weren't you?

As are the DWP. Since a person who's actually in work is entitled to four weeks of going away on holiday, then a person looking for work is given a similar entitlement. They're not expected to be actively looking for work 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year.

Thanks everybody, apparently could be off for six weeks. This could sound painfull!

As are the DWP. Since a person who's actually in work is entitled to four weeks of going away on holiday, then a person looking for work is given a similar entitlement. They're not expected to be actively looking for work 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year.

I spot a sense of humour failure....