Hay wanted URGENT

Due to the extreme weather virtually all the grass in our area as had to be baled for silage or haylage. I have been ringing round and i have not found any hay within a 50 mile radius.

Does anyone know the location of any.

I would be willing to travel any distance and even buy large quantities.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.........Thank you

I know a guy in Goole that delivers, do you want me to see if he has any in?

How much are you looking for? 1 bale? 20 bales? 100 bales?

I think this might be the case this year through winter and probably next summer that people hold onto what hay they have with it being a poor crop.

Blimey, I read about the national hay shortage a few weeks ago but just thought it was an overreaction, although the hay quality has depreciated somewhat.

the hay quality has depreciated somewhat.

I second that

Because we had all that dry weather early on, the grass didn't grow as much as if we had had a normal April with showers. So any that was cut was shorter than normal, therefore not as much. The ground is ****** now, it isn't getting chance to dry out. I reccon it will be the worst year I have ever seen personally. Luckily a lot of farmers have hay stored from previous crops but it wouldn't surprise me if they try to hold on to it. :|

I second that

That's because most hay bagged in shops is new stuff, the stuff I'm using is the same, from last year or even year before. :)

lukily my piggies don't need much its he horsey folk that are gonna feel it

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies.

I'm looking for the small bales for my horses. I usually buy about 100 a time to make it economical on transport costs.

The nearest i can any at the moment is in Monmouthshire. They will deliver 600 bales at £4 a bale. Although this is a large quantity ( and double last years price) it's looking like this is what i will have to do.

Baileys mum, i would appreciate if you could find the phone number.

Any advice on this would probably help other members as well, as at the moment the situation for horse owners is desperate.

This shortage will also eventuall filter through to the prepacks you buy in the pet shops and also to the hay derived horse feeds such as Hi Fi etc.

Jess22, i've phoned round about every farm in 50 miles and there is none left from last year.

Any hay you get now, in whatever size, was cut last year. It is only in the last couple of weeks that some areas have started to cut this years, this as not yet come into "the system".

Please keep your replies coming, I'll put on any phone numbers i find

I've sent a message to my supplier, I'll let you know if I get any answer

Jess22, i've phoned round about every farm in 50 miles and there is none left from last year.

Any hay you get now, in whatever size, was cut last year. It is only in the last couple of weeks that some areas have started to cut this years, this as not yet come into "the system".

Yes, that's what I was trying to say. We have 1/2 a barn full (farm where I keep my horse) I know the effects won't be really until next year but I would bet the farmers you rang have plenty, they are just hanging on to it for their own stock as I'm sure they don't want to run out. I will ask around (don't have any numbers on me) but I you have probably phoned them all.

Good luck with it all :( I have probably just realised a massive advantage of keeping my horse at a farm that does their own hay.