Help needed pup/dog wanted

hi can anyone help please,im looking for a pup or small dog.can anyone suggest where best place to look please......

Rescue centres, there are loads around :)

hi can anyone help please,im looking for a pup or small dog.can anyone suggest where best place to look please......

Research about different breads and find a dog that suits you. Some dogs need lots of exercise and stimulation . Then when you have an idea what you want then start looking. Rescues are good because they asses the dog first . We got our second Lab from Gumtree but you have to be prepared to walk away if your not sure and ask lots of questions and ask to see papers and vaccination certificates. And if buying a pup insist on seeing the mother ( both parents if poss) and again ask lots of questions.

The best place to look depends on what kind of dog you want. Remember that a dog's size is not related to its personality, space or exercise needs.

There's lots of breed info out there if you have some ideas of dogs you like you can look it up to see which would fit into your lifestyle and most importantly activity levels. Getting a dog that wants to do far more every day than you do is likely to be a mistake!

Do you have any types of dogs in mind? Someone on here might know what they're like to live with :)

if you look on, i think it is pdsa they have a thing on looking into what kind of breed to get. so it asks you questions like allergies, if there are children around, number of hours the dog will be left alone, how much exercise you can give it. it then recommends the best breads to look at depending on your circumstances. as has already been said, the dogs size doesn't necessarily link directly to amount of exercise. also some dogs (such as the one i have) suffer a lot from seperation anxiety so if you are going to be out at work 8 hours a day it's not a dog to get.

also, be very careful of puppy farms. again, as has been said, ask to see mum and dad where possible. ask about family history. if you choose a breed check out the rescue centres for that breed.

good luck - dogs are the best :-)

http://www.ineedahome.co.uk

Is a great place to start looking for dogs in rescue mostly around the Sheffield area.

As the post says earlier, look at the characteristics of the dog before you just get any dog as many can be true to form but also and most importantly - decide what you actually want from a dog, what you have to give (i.e. experience/time/environment - and find one that fits into your lifestyle or that you will adapt to fit into theirs.

Good luck and keep us updated on what you find.

I've been sent into so many home checks with the instructions to check that the dog that the prospective owners have chosen is actually what they're expecting, because so many people don't know quite how different one small dog can be from another, in terms of temperament, exercise needs, grooming needs and the like. A 'small dog' could be a sweetheart shihtzu or chihuahua that needs a quick stroll a couple of times a day or it could be a seriously work-minded Patterdale terrier or Lancashire heeler, or hundreds of degrees in between.

What does 'your dog' look like in your head?

What do you do together? How far and how often are you prepared to go out and walk with your dog?

What do you train your dog to do?

Do you have a budget to pay a groomer to look after your dog's coat?

Do you (or anybody else in your family) have allergies?

All of these things affect what sort of dog you get, and what sort of dog you get along with. For months before getting a dog I described what 'my dog' was like to lots of rescues, vets and dog owners and the consensus was that 'my dog' was probably a GSD. They were all spot on :)

BTW- I have not approved a single one of the home checks with the special instructions to check whether the dog they were going for was the right dog for them. The kennel staff's instincts have always been spot on in flagging it up as a potential behavioural issue for the future, and all of the applicants have understood exactly why they shouldn't adopt the dog they chose by the time I've left them.

We don't all get on with the same sorts of dogs. A dog that's right for me may be dreadful for you, and there's a whole huge list of dog breeds that I wouldn't want to adopt, including border collies, springer spaniels, most sighthounds and quite a lot of terriers.

I hope that you find 'your dog' soon :)