Whitby Road School Darnall Sheffield

i went to whitby rd.1955 to 1959 in my last year i was head boy.the teachers were mr mawson,mr mellor,mr cooper,mr golledge,mr grundy,mr ring,mr knight was the woodwork teacher a complete nutcase,mr saxon was headteacher,mr ellis i thought did music in the hall.we won the barber shield at cricket under 13 and lost in the final of the stokes shield under 15.we had a very good football team and though we never trained we won the schools 7 a side rugby beating barnsley grammar school in the final.we also did well at athletics and had a very good 4x100yds sqaud winning many trophies.some names from my time were,keith pearson,mick searle,john todd,joe rogers,barry everitt,john clifton,tony proctor,eric jackson,frank handley,alan greenwood,len birch,had sme good times at whitby rd. and have said on another thread how we did so well at sport with no ground other than high hazels park is still a mystery to me .

i went to whitby rd.1955 to 1959 in my last year i was head boy.the teachers were mr mawson,mr mellor,mr cooper,mr golledge,mr grundy,mr ring,mr knight was the woodwork teacher a complete nutcase,mr saxon was headteacher,mr ellis i thought did music in the hall.we won the barber shield at cricket under 13 and lost in the final of the stokes shield under 15.we had a very good football team and though we never trained we won the schools 7 a side rugby beating barnsley grammar school in the final.we also did well at athletics and had a very good 4x100yds sqaud winning many trophies.some names from my time were,keith pearson,mick searle,john todd,joe rogers,barry everitt,john clifton,tony proctor,eric jackson,frank handley,alan greenwood,len birch,had sme good times at whitby rd. and have said on another thread how we did so well at sport with no ground other than high hazels park is still a mystery to me .

i was at whitby rd 1955 to 59, my 1st teacher was mr hyde his wife was mr saxons secretery, then i had a mr barnes he gave me 2 strokes of cane because i popped my cheek while he was playing the piano, then we had mr holland, mr mellor he was good at taking us for footy and rugby, he gave me a good school report and moved me up to class 4a to mr gollege, he always gave you a mental arithmatic problem 1st thing in a morning, classmates i remember john clifton, roy maskery, henry tooze he made a gun when he fired it he nearly blew his fingers off, roy mansel, dave burgin, johnny white,frank handley. shame about the school now.

i remember all them but henry tooze i played football and cricket with john he has a stall selling pet food down the moor.do you remember any of the others i mentioned?mr gollege used to start the morning with a session of mental arithmatic it was great fun.as i have said before how we won so much at sports was amazing as we had such poor facilities.mr mellor was great fun so long as you tried your best he was happy,also mr grundy who took us to 2 cricket finals winning one losing the other.roy makery still see him and len birch in the peaks,roy as been a very good table tennis player for years.happy days and nights at the youth club.

i remember all them but henry tooze i played football and cricket with john he has a stall selling pet food down the moor.do you remember any of the others i mentioned?mr gollege used to start the morning with a session of mental arithmatic it was great fun.as i have said before how we won so much at sports was amazing as we had such poor facilities.mr mellor was great fun so long as you tried your best he was happy,also mr grundy who took us to 2 cricket finals winning one losing the other.roy makery still see him and len birch in the peaks,roy as been a very good table tennis player for years.happy days and nights at the youth club.
ive not seen roy maskery for years, we used to knock about together, i would like to see him again and talk about old times, its whitby rd centenary this year,i went in august to a invite about the old school, the only person i knew was steven millward, i used to play football with john clifton, stuart elam, roy maskery,do you remember having to run up enfield lane through tinsley park woods and finish back at school, noppy sherwin and the barker bros useto hide under the bridge near the halfway pub having a hamlet i bet, ray strut was a good runner he always won. i once came 2cnd i was quite chuffed about that. some other teachers i remember, mr knight the woodwork teacher down at the annexe, he gave me 2 strokes of cane because at playtime it was raining so he told everybody to stay inside but i went out to see if it stopped he got old of me and rattleld my fingers,he once cracked john waring over the head,i also remember mr curtois for tech drawing and science, you didnt mess when he was teaching, mr garrett a music and singer teacher,mr cooper from darnall, i didnt see him much during my time at school,other names from my time at school, brian scaife,melvyn cross,byron blackadder,fred speachly, billy witherford,billy johnson, billy waller,did you ever go on weekend tips to wembly, they were great.:cool:

never went on trips could not afford it,went to the city hall once,roy is very often at crystal peaks on a saturday morning.i had a run in with mr knight dropped a chisel tried to catch it but it hit the floor i cut my finger very bad still have scar,he sent me to his room and said he was going to cane me i told him no chance as i needed treatment,after a few more words he sent me to mr saxons office but iwent home instead as i only lived on westbury st. a few minutes away.next day my nan went to see mr saxons and had words with and i never heard any more about it.i knocked around with keith pearson,mick(sammy)searle,tony procter,joe rogers good footballer and very quick,barry everitt who again i see in the peaks.we had some great sports people and if they had gone to a posh school i am sure they would have gone further.john todd is one who springs to mind also though a year below he played for our year and did very well.hope we can get some replies from some of the names.

Well, I do remember the names included into these last two posts. I'm Steve Millwood and left at the same time as Frank Handley, when we left for the Central Tech in 1957. There are many memories and I thought that there might have been a few more people who I knew at the centenary event in July. I've just moved back into Darnall after retiring, to a house about three minutes walk from the Annexe School. I was reminded of Miss Gabbard (Head of the infants), in the film Matilda and the famous Miss Trunchbowl - who appeared to have been trained as a head teacher by the SS. Does anyone hear from or about some of the names mentioned, Keith Pearson, Graham Gur, Roy Maskery, Byron Blackadda and the rest.

i think my dad (daniel or danny for short - gilliver) went to this school when he was a lad, anyone remember him?

Yes, Jacklev1

I remember all them and more, we lived on Nightingale street and my whole family went there, my mother was a dinner lady for a while as well.

Pity about it now!

do you remember sandra brown and molly and janet straw they lived near bottom end near staniforth rd.

Reply to Katy1981

The name Gilliver sounds familiar but I'm not sure he was in the year when most of the class left in 1959. Do you know when he was there?:):)

Reply to Katy1981

The name Gilliver sounds familiar but I'm not sure he was in the year when most of the class left in 1959. Do you know when he was there?:):)

no i dont im afraid but he was born and bred in darnall and his brothers jimmy and victor brawshaw.

I remember when we left in 1959 we put a spud up the exhaust pipe of Mr Barnes car.

Happy Days!! Thanks Kenny for the reminders about our sports prowess. They were good times. Some other names that come to mind are Dick May John Riley and Dave Whiteley. My names John Clifton

I remember when we left in 1959 we put a spud up the exhaust pipe of Mr Barnes car.

Happy Days!! Thanks Kenny for the reminders about our sports prowess. They were good times. Some other names that come to mind are Dick May John Riley and Dave Whiteley. My names John Clifton

Hi John, Im Chris from swale rd, Do you remember the Wembley trip in the last year at school, We were up nearly all night having a laugh, We all got done for ******* in the waste paper bin, Saxon found out and i had to empty it,Remember at school we had to put out the dinner tables at dinner time.:cool: