Clocked car bought from dealership

Hi,

My friend purchased a used Ford Focus from a Sheffield dealership (avoiding private sales) back in January.

around 2 months ago he started having to pay for a lot of engine repairs and this week the car finally packed in.

The car was sold to him with 82,000 miles on the clock so he believed he would have a few years out of it traveling to work and back (less than 6 miles a day)

However on inspection at a garage he has been advised that the car has been clocked and has more like 174,000 miles on the clock.

Does he have any rights to get the dealership to either sort a new engine or replace the car?

every used car should come with a used car warranty of at least 6 months.. if they are not playing ball snd the car has been clocked.(as you stated). then the next port of call is trading standards or the financial ombudsmsn. who will argue there case for them..

Any documentation to prove the "clocked" mileage at the point of sale?

Main dealer or small independent?

Hi It's an independent, but long established with a good reputation.

---------- Post added 01-10-2014 at 05:52 ----------

every used car should come with a used car warranty of at least 6 months.. if they are not playing ball snd the car has been clocked.(as you stated). then the next port of call is trading standards or the financial ombudsmsn. who will argue there case for them..

Thanks I will get him to, speak to the dealer first and if no joy take it to TS, unfortunately he's the kind of guy that doesn't like to make a fuss. But I think he needs too in this case!

You can check the vehicle's previous MOTs online (assuming it's old enough to have to have one) the annual mileages are all recorded on there...how did the garage decide it's been clocked?

They normally put a sticker on the clocks saying that "mileage cannot be guaranteed".

Normally you'd check mileage against service history and MOTs. If the seller can't produce either, walk away.

Check the previous MOT's as already mentioned, it's free to do online and it's glaringly obvious when it does happen.

If you find the evidence there then the dealership will have a hard time arguing the case, being as it's such a quick, free and easy check to make.

What proof is there the car has been clocked?

Next time your friend goes shopping for a car,make sure they take someone who knows what they are doing.

When you have the proof of altered mileage,approach the dealer and see what they say.

What proof is there the car has been clocked?

Usually you go online and look at several previous years MOT certificates.

They note the miledge down on each MOT certificate.

If the miledge gos':

2010: 100,000

2011: 120,000

2012: 140,000

2013: 160,000

2014: 80,000

and the car is now knackered and the clocks currently read 83,000 miles it's pretty good evidence it's been clocked.

Mod Note

Posts attacking other users have been removed, kindly keep the discussion civil please

Usually you go online and look at several previous years MOT certificates.

They note the miledge down on each MOT certificate.

If the miledge gos':

2010: 100,000

2011: 120,000

2012: 140,000

2013: 160,000

2014: 80,000

and the car is now knackered and the clocks currently read 83,000 miles it's pretty good evidence it's been clocked.

It's not. I've had several sets of clocks in my car, due to the whole unit failing (20 year old car) and the mileage (digital) being part of the clocks themselves rather than stored in the ECU. My current clocks show less than the last ones I had that broke. A pretty silly place to store the mileage if you ask me but what do I know?

You can make sure you get this noted in the MOT though and get the tester to note this is what happened.