Car Tax changes. Good or bad?

You might be aware that the rules for taxing your car are changing from 1st Oct.

Basically you won't need a paper tax disk, and you won't have to display it in your vehicle.

Enforcement will be via ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) by the police, and maybe the council, I don't know.

Apart from the money saving aspect in administration and subsequent probable job losses at the DVLA. On the face of it, it's a good idea.

The main problem arises when you sell or buy a vehicle. If you sell it, you will have to inform the DVLA of the new owner (current tax cannot be carried over to a new owner) , and then you will 'automatically' receive a refund of any 'complete' months of tax duty paid. Which means the new owner will 'have to 'retax' it before they even drive it away. That could be a pain...I say...'could'

On the upside, from November, you will be able to pay your car tax monthly by direct debit. Which will be a boon for some. Instead of having to pay 12 months in one lump (or six months)...

Is it a step forward? What pitfalls do you foresee? Good or bad?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes

Nice earner for the treasury!!!

The DD idea is a good one as spreading the cost over the year is better.

The idea is to get rid of uninsured vehicles. In the past you could buy a car taxed and tested for 12 months and then drive it uninsured and anonymous (if you wanted) for a year.

The new system means no one can buy a car already taxed.

The idea is to get rid of uninsured vehicles. In the past you could buy a car taxed and tested for 12 months and then drive it uninsured and anonymous (if you wanted) for a year.

The new system means no one can buy a car already taxed.

Yes I agree....But just imagine the scenario...You buy a car off 'Joe soap' (member of the public)....You may or may not pay for it, there and then, or you might leave a deposit, pending organising insurance and tax...you go back and someone has paid him and drove it away and taken the risk...There's all sorts of scenarios like that, or akin that 'might' happen.

They will only refund full months, but on selling a car with tax already on it, if the buyer buys it any day between 2--till end of month , the seller will lose out on a month refund ,the dvla will make millions

They will only refund full months, but on selling a car with tax already on it, if the buyer buys it any day between 2--till end of month , the seller will lose out on a month refund ,the dvla will make millions

yes...that point hadn't escaped me...These things are always money making exercises. I remember when the 'paper' driving licences came out. I think it cost about £40 at the time. (which was a bloody fortune)..But they said, don't worry, it will last you until you die....That was a lie, cos now it's photo licenses and they 'cost'....

yes...that point hadn't escaped me...These things are always money making exercises. I remember when the 'paper' driving licences came out. I think it cost about £40 at the time. (which was a bloody fortune)..But they said, don't worry, it will last you until you die....That was a lie, cos now it's photo licenses and they 'cost'....

You are missing the point. Just wait and see how much they reduce the cost of 12 months VED when the savings cut in, and you can look forward to vast reductions in insurance premiums once the uninsured are out of the equation. Time you started counting your blessings mate :hihi:

To clarify, the above is rhetoric.

Edited by andrejuan

I dont quite understand this, if I buy a car, say beginning of October, and it has a tax disc on it until next February, does that mean I can't use that tax disc and will have to apply for another one? or is it just cars that are taxed after 1st October?

You are missing the point. Just wait and see how much they reduce the cost of 12 months VED when the savings cut in, and you can look forward to vast reductions in insurance premiums once the uninsured are out of the equation. Time you started counting your blessings mate :hihi:

You really think it's going to stop uninsured drivers?....Wake up and smell the coffee

---------- Post added 14-08-2014 at 20:23 ----------

I dont quite understand this, if I buy a car, say beginning of October, and it has a tax disc on it until next February, does that mean I can't use that tax disc and will have to apply for another one? or is it just cars that are taxed after 1st October?

Whenever you buy a car....it WON'T come with tax...from the day you bought it, YOU will have to tax it

You really think it's going to stop uninsured drivers?....Wake up and smell the coffee

---------- Post added 14-08-2014 at 20:23 ----------

All of that was tongue in cheek.

Edited by PeteMorris

All of that was tongue in cheek.

Ah...Ok...Cos anyone who thinks it might is sadly mistaken...Yes it might stop a few...But definitely wont eradicate it

Are people serious they have to spread road tax repayment over 12 months?