Greatest Living Yorkshireman (or Woman)

Who is it?

David Cameron suggested it was William Hague, I'd have to disagree.

My pick would be Sir Geoffrey Boycott. :)

Regards

Doom

That's probably because Hague is the only Yorkshireman Cameron has ever met.

Does Boycott's conviction for beating up his partner count against him?

I'm showing some serious ignorance here, but I've never heard of Anthony Gormley or David Hockney. :blush:

Regards

Doom

As Jonny5 says:

Gormley is the guy behind the Angel of the North and Another Place out at Liverpool.

Hockney is generally regarded (awaits whining rebuttals:|) as one of, if not the UK's greatest living artist.

These are two guys who have been making serious waves in the art world for quite some time, both Yorkshire men, some argue that they are of a similar status as Hepworth and Moore, although Sir Antony Gormley and David Hockney OM (Order of Merit) don't work together as far as I know. You should have heard of them really :)

Ah, I didn't know he had a bad mark, I also think he is a bit of an annoying commentator, so I will scrap him as a candidate then and replace him with the brilliant Dicky Bird.

Not to me, because I believe him when he says he didn't do it.

Regards

Doom

---------- Post added 02-10-2014 at 11:31 ----------

Gormley is the guy behind the Angel of the North and Another Place out at Liverpool.

Hockney is generally regarded (awaits whining rebuttals:|) as one of, if not the UK's greatest living artist.

*Incidentally the correct answer Lord Sir David Hirst.

I'm afraid I'm not the arty type, so it's no surprise I've never heard of them.

Geography, Science & Nature and Sports were my usual picks in Trivial Pursuit, getting the Art and Literature cheese used to take me ages. :hihi:

Regards

Doom

Not to me, because I believe him when he says he didn't do it.

Regards

Doom

---------- Post added 02-10-2014 at 11:31 ----------

I'm afraid I'm not the arty type, so it's no surprise I've never heard of them.

Geography, Science & Nature and Sports were my usual picks in Trivial Pursuit, getting the Art and Literature cheese used to take me ages. :hihi:

Regards

Doom

Wow, I have never heard a Yorkshire person refer to the triv pieces as "cheeses", like I do. Most I have heard call it the "Art and Literature slice of cake!"

My faith in Yorkshire folk is restored. I nominate Doom for greatest Living Yorkshireman.

I'll go with Hockney, whilst not all of his work appeals to me - why should it? - I don't doubt for one minute that he's a great artist.

Apart from The Angel of the North I haven't seen any of Gormleys work.

As for Boycott, I know several people who have met him and not one had any time for him. Obnoxious man by all accounts, and I don't believe him when he says he didn't hit a woman.

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

The only trouble with that is so many at the Tory conference will have the same opinion Stan.

Can you imagine a county full of Hague look and soundalikes?:gag:

Apart from The Angel of the North I haven't seen any of Gormleys work.

If you ever get the chance to see Another Place than don't hesitate, it is by far one of my favourite public art works. You get there by going to Bootle and staying on the A565 until you see it signposted (in Crosby).

Who is it?

David Cameron suggested it was William Hague, I'd have to disagree.

My pick would be Sir Geoffrey Boycott. :)

Regards

Doom

I thought William Hague was the cabinat's very own Geoffrey Boycott - Bigheaded and gobby

An unequivocal testimonial for Eric Pickles there!

If you ever get the chance to see Another Place than don't hesitate, it is by far one of my favourite public art works. You get there by going to Bootle and staying on the A565 until you see it signposted (in Crosby).

While you are there, call in and see the red squirrels at Formby http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/formby/