Just started running, dodgy knees! Can you recommend a running shoes shop?

That's not called running, that's called sex, or chocolate!

I'm in week 6 now. Like you, I don't think I'll ever run a marathon. Initially, my long runs resembled a very fast walk, rather than something you could describe as a run! I live near Endcliffe Park and my goal is to be able to run to Forge Dam and back before breakfast. Every run, I get that little bit closer.

That's the beauty of running... you can set yourself goals (like the one above). It's not about competing with others, but more with yourself. Keep it up and before you know, you will be running until you get to the Alpaca Farm up at Ringinglow.

If the pain starts to come back a knee support might help.

If the pain starts to come back a knee support might help.

I've literally not felt a thing since I changed my shoes. If it's psychosomatic, I don't care!

Give up and start cycling.

I stopped riding my bike when I was knocked off it when six months pregnant, then it got nicked :(

they have some really good and cheap runing shoes at sports direct :D

What a crap load of answers.

I have been a sporty type since I was 11 years old (now 58) and the old body is starting to protest. Rugby was the first to go, then running, then triathlon - Concept2 rowing, cycling and swimming are still there.

But, I will not just give up.

Then, I discovered parkrun (5k). It's the best thing since sliced bread.

The most inclusive, community spirited, family oriented, global movement I have ever experienced. I get round most weeks I can tell if I'm fast or struggling. But, why is a mystery to me but a few things are clear:-

Getting suitable, good trainers is essential, obviously, but its not all about the boots!

1. Loose weight and everything get's easier. This hasn't proved easy for me but on the brief spells of success the results have been brilliant - if it was easy everyone would be doing it.

2. In training run uphill - lower impacts.

3. Run on softer surfaces where ever possible.

I've just rejoined a gym and will be using my 'free' gym advice session to ask WHAT EXERCISES WILL STRENGTHEN MY KNEES? . . . and make running faster and easier. No drugs. No gizmo's. No personal trainers.

I'll pass on any tips I get

Edited by Flanker7
clarification

Running is terrible for your joints and your back.

I'd recommend joining a gym and take up cross training instead, much better for you and amazing for fitness/fat loss.

Running on already dodgy knees isn't exactly the right way to go. Knees, ankles, feet and back all deteriote after a long period of running.

Walking or cycling are the best ways to go

Absolutely agree. Crosstraining and swimming are good, too, but, running is high impact and you will be lucky to avoid arthritis later.