Budget tyres vs Premium tyres

You are always confused Amberleaf - it's why you have to come up with sockpuppets so people pay attention. You like to post your little diatribes just before the forum closes down for the night so they stay up longer unreplied....

???????????? :hihi:;)

Where is the post by Amberleaf and what and where are these sock puppets to which you refer please?

Does anyone know a local supplier and fitter of good tyres with a large selection? If not who would you recommend to fit my purchased internet tyres?

The price of a tire is predominantly based on car popularity. The more honda civic on the road means cheap tires. A Daihatsu terios will cost three times as much. Not many daihatsu terios on the road. Why bother with a brand name , all new tires are legal and will last until your next MOT. £30 or 75 Per tire on average to last a year, They both do that, and both from a legal point of view are the very same regarding road safety for you and your car. Its like saying >> IPhone Or Android?

---------- Post added 11-10-2014 at 00:45 ----------

I just put go faster stripes on my car with Gluestick tires . Guess what not only did my car go faster but I can now take the tightest of bends at three times the speed! Worth the £265 per tire!

The price of a tire is predominantly based on car popularity. The more honda civic on the road means cheap tires. A Daihatsu terios will cost three times as much. Not many daihatsu terios on the road. Why bother with a brand name , all new tires are legal and will last until your next MOT. £30 or 75 Per tire on average to last a year, They both do that, and both from a legal point of view are the very same regarding road safety for you and your car. Its like saying >> IPhone Or Android?

---------- Post added 11-10-2014 at 00:45 ----------

I just put go faster stripes on my car with Gluestick tires . Guess what not only did my car go faster but I can now take the tightest of bends at three times the speed! Worth the £265 per tire!

Counldnt agree more. There must be better things to buy then designer tyres unless they are sad geeks with no friends

Sorry to go on but gullible people irritate me. This is not any pizza this is a 6 star pizza. £ 8.99 .. This is aldi this pizza is £1 pound. Both have the same size pizza with the same topping the overall weight is the same per ingredient. Will the £8.99 taste better, fill your belly more than the Aldi £1.00 one?? NO... A tire is a tire and will do till next MOT.

---------- Post added 11-10-2014 at 01:05 ----------

Counldnt agree more. There must be better things to buy then designer tyres unless they are sad geeks with no friends

This forum has more than its fair share of gullible people, let them get on with it. lol

---------- Post added 11-10-2014 at 01:14 ----------

Just to add..... I have a new brand of tire... It has 6x the grip than a normal tire and will give any vehicle optimal performance in summer or winter without need to swap tire, rain, sun, ice ,snow, Only £278 per tire.... Or get a £30 remold will do the same thing. lol

---------- Post added 11-10-2014 at 01:16 ----------

Its gullible people on this forum that made me money when i was younger. lol

wow......

comparing tyres to pizza now? if you want to run remoulds because you only need a tyre to last between MOT's.. feel free. I for one, won't as I like to have a tyre that secures me to the road.

Edited by stimpy

It depends what you want, incidentally they're all branded, some are just cheap brands. Having had Nexens on my car and switching to Good Year Eagles then a resounding yes. Nexens I'd be dead if I even vaguely thought about putting my foot down in the wet.

Having had Nexen A/T's on my old Jeep with no problems in snow! I've also had them fitted to my Land Rover as well. Since being reshod it's been up to the Lake District and around the Atlantic coastline in Ireland. The tyres have been subjected to tracks, beaches and rivers and are quiet and responsive on the tarmac. The best bit was that Burrows Toyota supplied and fitted 'em for about £300 all in!

Bargain!

and then they washed the car because it was part of the service!

Basically what Bruno said above. Remember at all times that tyres are the only points of contact between your car and the road. After that, as noted by Obelix, certain budget brands have proven themselves through the years as perfectly adequate alternatives to major brands, and Khumo is another example.

I had 4 new Khumo Ecstas put on a V50 2.0D a couple of years ago, and they proved not only much better in the wet and snow as the Pirellis they were replacing, but also more economical and less noisy.

I've now had 4 new Ecstas put on the MX5 a couple of months ago at Roddington's suggestion, and they're again proving much better in the wet as the Firestones they are replacing. We've had and driven this car for over 14 years & 70000 miles -with the expected number of new mounts in that time- and I can't ever remember having better tyres on it, and that includes Michelins.

By comparison, last week I had to buy replacement fronts for the Goodyear Eco-wotsits which we had put on the Merc (C220 saloon) two years/15000 miles ago. They were starting to show canvas at the outer sidewall (!), and it's not as if that car is hard driven at all (Mrs pootles in it: school run, shopping, family vists). Tracking was a bit off, but not so dramatically as to cause this amount of wear.

Depends if it was front or back blow.

I've had a rear blow at 75-80, M1 southbound in the (sharp-ish) right bend after the Jct.32/M18 ramp, and the car behaved perfectly well. The only danger I perceived at the time, was the loss of motive power (RWD) that caused gradual (and irremediable) loss of speed, which made moving promptly from the rightmost to the leftmost lane a bit tricky in rush hour traffic.

I expect a front blow would be far more problematic, regardless of whether FWD or RWD.

Hi a rear blow out would actually be more difficult to control, on the front you get far more feedback from what's happening. this is why you should have your newest tyres on the rear of your vehicle regardless of drive, and for FWD vehicles the rear tyres don't get anywhere near as much heat in them so can be unstable when cornering. Think winter tyres, what's the point of putting winter tyres just on the drive wheels! If every time you steer you loose the rear or can't turn at all!

---------- Post added 13-07-2015 at 11:55 ----------

As it's been said before YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

Better performance, wether that's more grip, economy or less noise.

The EU labels give a decent indication of what the tyre is classed to do.

I also find when fitting tyres branded tyres are balanced better, this means it's more uniform. A budget tyre might not be as refined and as a result needs more weight adding to balance it correctly.

Is there much difference from budget to premium tyres other than the price?

Put the make of the budget tyre in google search for reviews, I did it recently on some I was going to buy, But when I read the reviews, Saying they are death traps, I didn't bother buying them

Tyres are like brake pads, Buy the best you can afford. Never the cheapest.