Engine size effects on petrol

Silliest answer yet! You claim 70mpg and yet acknowledge that most of the journey is courtesy of batteries that are doubtless charged when you plug it in at home! Aaaargh! You are not comparing like for like. That energy from the batteries comes mostly from fossil fuel burning power stations which, due to distribution losses, results in even more pollution overall than burning the fuel directly in a normal car's engine! You fell for the Toyota blurb, hook, line and sinker! :hihi:

What a load of codswallop you really talk :huh: My Prius (as are most) is NOT a "plug in" (very expensive and come with gov/grant).I do not recharge the batteries at home,the batteries are recharged by the petrol engine when de-accellerating/braking..this is a well known fact...amongst motorists ,that is.....No Toyota blurb ( i do not listen to any sort of "blurb",i prefer to do my own legwork)..it is fact.I think you are confusing the Hybrid with a full electric car,the Prius will run on battery/electric power alone as it is a "full hybrid",unlike the Honda's which are not,the batteries on them assist the engine (IMA) only,although the Prius will only travel a distance of 1-1.5 miles on battery power,the engine will then start up on its own (like blue-motion vehicles) to re-charge them.and YES i can get 70mpg comparing "like for like" as you say.Just to try and educate you further,the Toyota Prius Plug-in is capable of around 130-140 mpg

Quote- 1.8 VVT-i Petrol Hybrid Continuously Variable

Fuel economy combined (l/100km / mpg)†

2.1 / 134.51

CO2 mass emission (combined) (g/km)

49..look this up too.

http://www.toyota.co.uk/new-cars/prius-plug-in-specs-prices

completely off topic ..i know :o

As for "fossil fuel burning power stations which results in even more pollution", the technology for clean fossil fuel burning has been around for a while now..but the Gov don't want them.The article was in the Rotherham Advertiser a few months ago.Richard Budge..RJB MINING..was going to build one a few years ago with a Russian company in S.Yorks but these plans all got shelved.Maybe the Gov withdrawing all funding from fossil fuel clean burning power stations had somethimg to do with it ;););)

..And as for your other quote "A heavy right foot can be an advantage"..say no more:thumbsup:

Happy motoring Aleksandr :thumbsup: just remember .."Its only a forum"

Edited by euclid

Every diesel will be more 'torquey', not necessarily more powerful. Mileage depends on tank capacity, so that doesn't give a good indication of fuel efficiency as some tanks are bigger than others. I disagree about the brakes - that's obviously not true if you look at the official stopping distances. Smaller cars do not eat fuel any more than larger ones, obviously. Hard work? Yes, they can be hard work sometimes, but parking can be so much easier!

Have a read.As i thought bigger is better....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2784592/Why-big-car-best-comes-fuel-economy-Research-finds-vehicle-makers-tests-not-reflect-reality-car-driven-road.html