Dog with grass allergy advice please

I'm rehoming a dog with grass allergies, her current owner treats these with steroids however, I'm not a huge fan of these and know that they can cause damage long term. Does anyone have any experience of treating such things with diatry changes or herbal remedies/suppliments ? I'd rather try these out first before filling her full of drugs

I've already posted this today which is weird on another post . But this worked for mine so far .

I have a choc lab and he had problems with allergies . I manage it with piriton and Yumpro bioactiv tabs. In fact after a few months he was fine and he's off everything now . When he starts again I will introduce them back but so far so good . I get mine from http://www.pet-supermarket.co.uk . Seems to work better than steroids for mine , but every dogs different . Might be worth a shot . Also try changing diet if you can feed your dog RAW food this might help . There is a lot information that suggests allergies are caused by a damaged immune system either through stress or diet . So probiotics may help . It seems to have worked for mine and it's better than giving steroids which seem to work for a while and then it keeps coming back . That's my experience I hope it helps .

Edited by rubydo1

Mine is on Apoquel, which is a miracle tablet without the side effects that steroids have. It's a new (ish) drug and in very high demand. I don't think 'new' vet practice's can now get it, only vets already stocking it can keep getting it. Ask your vet about it. Google it if you like - it's worked a miracle for me and Whiskey.

Try mixing Turmeric and coconut oil into their food (cold pressed virgin coconut oil in a tub is best. Just put some in an egg cup and microwave for 20 seconds to melt it)

My dog has allergies to a number of things including food allergies and grass etc. Since I started her with this mixture, both have gone and she's got loads more energy! (She's 12)

It works well for cats as well. There is quite a few sites talking about it.

Good luck :)

Ps. Get better quality cat biscuits if you can and give her some meat rather than just biscuits.

I used to use Sudocrem on the bellies of my Daxies who had grass allergies

Try mixing Turmeric and coconut oil into their food (cold pressed virgin coconut oil in a tub is best. Just put some in an egg cup and microwave for 20 seconds to melt it)

My dog has allergies to a number of things including food allergies and grass etc. Since I started her with this mixture, both have gone and she's got loads more energy! (She's 12)

It works well for cats as well. There is quite a few sites talking about it.

Good luck :)

Ps. Get better quality cat biscuits if you can and give her some meat rather than just biscuits.

I have tried alsorts with mine. Found lots of thing's to ease the itching but nothing to stop it yet. I am going to try the coconut oil and will let you know how it works for me. About how long was it till you saw results? Thanks Candlebaby.

Edited by Guest

My friend tried lots of things for her dog and although she still needs to use the different drugs she has tried (not steroids as she hates them) she found when she started taking her for baths at a groomers her symptoms reduced. I think this is because they hold a lot of pollen in their fur. Hope you find something that works.

It doesn't need to be a bath with a groomer- that could work out really expensive. A simple hose down on the undercarriage and legs with warm water after every walk could work amazingly to reduce the amount of pollen that the dog carries around with them.

Dogs can also take human antihistamines. You don't say what size of dog you're adopting, but a dog the size of a lab would take a whole chlorphenamine (that's good old fashioned Piriton, not any of the 'new generation' antihistamines or Piri-anything else) daily and that could control lots of symptoms too.

It doesn't need to be a bath with a groomer- that could work out really expensive. A simple hose down on the undercarriage and legs with warm water after every walk could work amazingly to reduce the amount of pollen that the dog carries around with them.

Dogs can also take human antihistamines. You don't say what size of dog you're adopting, but a dog the size of a lab would take a whole chlorphenamine (that's good old fashioned Piriton, not any of the 'new generation' antihistamines or Piri-anything else) daily and that could control lots of symptoms too.

The reason I said groomer was because they seem to be able to get deeper in longer haired dogs and have better facilities to clean medium to large dogs easily but if you feel you can do as thorough a job then obviously it would be cheaper to do it yourself (although if you shop around you can get some very good value baths at some groomers)

I have a large long haired dog and she has a bath most days during the summer. She goes for a cool down by swimming in the river, which rinses out her fur better and deeper than anybody with a shower could do :)

She's got floating toys to have in her bath and everything :)

karma32128, How did you get on with your dog? I did try the Turmeric and coconut oil and had no luck. Im now trying to find Piriton/Chlopheniramine but a lot of the chemist sites are saying you have to fill out a form or speak to the pharmacist to show you need this medication. I did try pet super market but it looks like have stopped selling it. I know a few of you use this for your dogs, where do you get it from?

I've already posted this today which is weird on another post . But this worked for mine so far .

I have a choc lab and he had problems with allergies . I manage it with piriton and Yumpro bioactiv tabs. In fact after a few months he was fine and he's off everything now . When he starts again I will introduce them back but so far so good . I get mine from http://www.pet-supermarket.co.uk . Seems to work better than steroids for mine , but every dogs different . Might be worth a shot . Also try changing diet if you can feed your dog RAW food this might help . There is a lot information that suggests allergies are caused by a damaged immune system either through stress or diet . So probiotics may help . It seems to have worked for mine and it's better than giving steroids which seem to work for a while and then it keeps coming back . That's my experience I hope it helps .

Allergies are an overactive immune system not a damaged one. The drugs in Piriton (antihistamine) damp down immune reactions.

Edit - its usually genetic too. In humans the same gene for eczema is the same one for other allergies eg asthma etc.