F1 2016 Megathread

Congrats to him, he deserved it.

Excellent driver, well done to him, his father will be proud of him:D

Nico had the more reliable car and that won him the title. He didn't improve as a driver or even win the most races, he just happened to have a car that didn't breakdown at all.

Overall a pretty boring season apart from Max and next years rule changes should hopefully throw up some closer racing.

Yep.

Max made this season interesting. He's brilliant.

Nico Rosberg has retired! Never saw that coming. I wonder who will get his drive?

Nico Rosberg has retired! Never saw that coming. I wonder who will get his drive?

Vettel probably.

Lets face it Rosberg was lucky to win this year and I doubt he will win another title again. Especially with the rule changes next year.

First I've seen... however

Vettel probably.

Lets face it Rosberg was lucky to win this year and I doubt he will win another title again. Especially with the rule changes next year.

yes I agree. Probably a good decision. He's got the title he wanted, unlikely to win again. I'd expect to see him in another motor sport instead.

With next years cars up to 4 seconds a lap faster, it will be alot more dangerous. He has just had a child, probably wants doesnt want to put his family through it all. And will want to watch his daughter grow up, he has achieved the ultimate goal. I dont blame him.

Mercedes might want another German driver. Maybe Vettel, but he's with Ferrari who might insist on ££££££££££££ in compensation. Can't see Mercedes wanting to pay big bucks, to be honest. Maybe Hulkenberg? German, already drives for a Mercedes powered team?

Or his team mate? I'd like to see how Perez went in a Merc but I can't see it happening.

Mercedes might want another German driver. Maybe Vettel, but he's with Ferrari who might insist on ££££££££££££ in compensation. Can't see Mercedes wanting to pay big bucks, to be honest. Maybe Hulkenberg? German, already drives for a Mercedes powered team?

Or his team mate? I'd like to see how Perez went in a Merc but I can't see it happening.

Too late for Hulkenberg as he has already agreed a move to Renault. Unless he has a buy out in his new contract.

Too late for Hulkenberg as he has already agreed a move to Renault. Unless he has a buy out in his new contract.

The obvious candidate is Pascal Wehrlein. He is part of Mercedes young driver program and contracted out by Mercedes to gain experience driving for Manor.

It just goes to show that the contingency plans are worthwhile.

It could be Wehrlien but it's a big jump from Manor to Mercedes. He would have to be mentally very strong to cope with the expectations on him. Nobody would expect him to be beating Hamilton but he couldn't afford to be too far down the field.

It could be Wehrlien but it's a big jump from Manor to Mercedes. He would have to be mentally very strong to cope with the expectations on him. Nobody would expect him to be beating Hamilton but he couldn't afford to be too far down the field.

On the contrary it must be easier to be in a front running teams as there are less cars to avoid at the first corner.

Wehrlein won the DTM for Mercedes and has spent 3 years as Mercedes F1 test driver including 2 years as their reserve driver. He was contracted out to Manor (along with a supply of Mercedes engines and drivetrains) to gain the experience of competing in F1 whilst still testing for Mercedes, so he knows Mercedes personel and procedures and their 2017 car.

I recall Keke Rosberg scoring nil point for Fittipaldi in 1981 and then getting the call from Williams at the last minute when Reuterman stepped down. Rosberg won the title that season.

In other news the French GP returns to the calendar in 2018.

Thankfully it wont be at that awful circuit Magny-Cours. It will be hosted at the Circuit Paul Ricard.