Whats wath upon dearne like to live

Do you know the Bentley's ??? I used to go to school with their youngest Daughter not seen em in ages.

Not sure about decent pubs though :hihi: only kidding

Yeah, I remember them. It was 25 years ago when I moved, but the memory is still there :D

I was brought up in Wath. In fact, I lived on Cadman Street, opposite the school, from being born until I was 8. I occasionally go back to the area, but haven't been down the Doncaster Road area for ages. My parents still live in the area so I am still up to date on the goings on.

I would recommend the area, not cos I am biased, but cos I know a lot about the place. The schools are spot on, crime is relatively low as is problematic youths. There are some decent pubs in and around the town and you got a choice of two major supermarkets, as well as some nice grocers in the centre. Oh, and there is some nice walking to be had along the Dearne and wetlands centre.

I too was born and bred in Wath and lived there until I got married to a Sheffield lass :love: 22 year ago.

It's a very typical ex mining town/village with enough local shops and supermarkets to keep you going. It's one of the places where everyone knows everyone else (well my Mother does anyway!) and a lot of people stay after leaving school and then bring up their own families there.

I went to Wath Central and then the comp, both of which are good schools.

The Doncaster Road area is fine, no where near the White Bear estate... which isn't that rough, it's just like bits of any other town really, and certainly nothing like Pitsmoor!

I enjoyed my time there and would recommend it to you. :)

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Yeah, I remember them. It was 25 years ago when I moved, but the memory is still there :D

We must have been at Wath Victoria together then if your 33 and I'm 36 small world eh :)

We must have been at Wath Victoria together then if your 33 and I'm 36 small world eh :)

Scary!! Yeah, I attended Wath Victoria until I went to Wath Comprehensive. So, we probably did go there together. It is indeed a small world :suspect::)

Scary!! Yeah, I attended Wath Victoria until I went to Wath Comprehensive. So, we probably did go there together. It is indeed a small world :suspect::)

Very scary lol

hi, im looking for some advice, we currently live in chapletown, but we are really wanting to move, we are going to look at a property in wath (doncaster road) and no nothing of the area, bit silly i know but we need a fresh start. i just wondered if you live there or knows someone that does that could give me a few pionters about the area crime, and such like, hubby wants to move but im a bit scared as i no nothing about the area thanks in advance

How did you get on with the house in Wath hun?

I am considering buying or renting a property in Wath-upon-dearne but need to know what the transport links are like to the Meadowhall and Tinsley areas as i do not currently drive.

Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance

I am considering buying or renting a property in Wath-upon-dearne but need to know what the transport links are like to the Meadowhall and Tinsley areas as i do not currently drive.

Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance

There's a bus to Swinton and then a train but the direct buses to the station are only every 30 minutes. Or you can get a bus to Rotherham but that will be slow. You could though get a Rotherham bus and get off at the top of Swinton and walk for 5-10 minutes down to the station.

Going the other way there are loads of buses to Wombwell but the train station is a good 15 minute walk from the stops there. Trains are half hourly. The 72/ 72a though goes to Hemingfield which is nearer but they're only hourly.

If you can't cycle to one of the railway stations I'd say Swinton's your best bet but Wath's not positioned for good commuting to Meadowhall.

I know what you mean - I didnt used to like change - But I am moving in the next few weeks and I am nervous but at the same time I cant wait for a fresh new start.

Trust me Wath aint nowt like Pitsmoor hun xx

I lived in Pitsmoor for the first 40 years of my life and there was nothing wrong with the area. It's not all about the 'goings on' in Spital Hill and Burngreave Road and yes the area has changed ethnically over the years but still a good area, as I'm sure Wath is.

There's a bus to Swinton and then a train but the direct buses to the station are only every 30 minutes. Or you can get a bus to Rotherham but that will be slow. You could though get a Rotherham bus and get off at the top of Swinton and walk for 5-10 minutes down to the station.

Going the other way there are loads of buses to Wombwell but the train station is a good 15 minute walk from the stops there. Trains are half hourly. The 72/ 72a though goes to Hemingfield which is nearer but they're only hourly.

If you can't cycle to one of the railway stations I'd say Swinton's your best bet but Wath's not positioned for good commuting to Meadowhall.

Thank you LeMaquis

Sorry if this is not appropriate but have you thought about areas on the X1 bus route? The bus starts at Maltby and terminates at Moorfoot. The route is Rotherham Bus Interchange, Templeborough, Tinsley, Meadowhall, Attercluffe so you would only need to catch one bus. They run very regularly (about every ten minutes weekdays) and some may be limited stop at peak times so the journey is shorter.

Edited by Jomie