Middle Hay area of Gleadless Valley

... What's it like round here? Noisy, much trouble etc..?

Ta!

Having known a colleague who used to live there I would say the answer to your question is YES and YES.

Sorry if this isn't the answer you wanted.

It's a terrible area, plagued by bikers and immigrants, feral children run riot.

We used to live on there, best thing we ever did was moving away. Cars stolen (ours) broken into, anti social behaviour, you name it.

Thanks for the responses, I was just curious as I was around there the other day and the Middle hay bit, particularly Middle hay rise seemed very quiet.

Used to live near Blackstock road shops back in 90,s was not a good place then ,years ago there was a massive waiting list to get in to gleedless area now more people want to leave than want to come in

Spent a long time on there moved away around 5 years ago but even then it was pretty bad. On many occasions we heard the front door being tried to see if it was locked.

Even though I now currently live on Arbourthorne it's a shame to say this place is actually better. Though I do want to move

Reading this thread is so sad.

I lived in Gleadless Valley - 1961-1967 - aged 9-15 and a half and my family and I really loved every minute.

Idyllic woodlands, streams to dam, dad's allotment and Graves Park.

We even had derelict Lees Hall Farm buildings to play in!!

What the hell went wrong?

It was so peaceful, so friendly. My paper round was hard, but scenic.

Mom's one gripe? Footballs being kicked against side of house ...... honest!!!

This was on Plowright Drive. Lovely neighbours, great bus service and a stream 15 yards from our front door.

Sheer heaven for a lad growing up in the 60's.

How times change .... sadly. Progress??? :(

Edited by mad-dad

Reading this thread is so sad.

I lived in Gleadless Valley - 1961-1967 - aged 9-15 and a half and my family and I really loved every minute.

Idyllic woodlands, streams to dam, dad's allotment and Graves Park.

We even had derelict Lees Hall Farm buildings to play in!!

What the hell went wrong?

It was so peaceful, so friendly. My paper round was hard, but scenic.

Mom's one gripe? Footballs being kicked against side of house ...... honest!!!

This was on Plowright Drive. Lovely neighbours, great bus service and a stream 15 yards from our front door.

Sheer heaven for a lad growing up in the 60's.

How times change .... sadly. Progress??? :(

My mother remembered it the same as she grew up on there which is why she was happy to move back on there but as I was growing up you started to see more and more bad families moving on to the area and crime started to increase

The area is lovely but the people on it are horrible.

But why has the area deteriorated?,Southerly was the same,lovely in the 60s but read so many bad reports on it now.

Gleadless Valley has certainly gone down the 'Pan ' so to speak since my living there from 1964 - to present ( 54 years ), it use to be a very pleasant estate - no graffiti, no dog fouling, no druggies , muggings etc.

I blame Sheffield City Council and in particular Newfield Green Housing Department - Why

because they should vet families before giving them a tenancy on what was a show piece of an estate.

Parents are also to blame, they let their kids run riot, don't care where they go or what they do or upset just as long as they get them out of their hair. They become teenagers and have kids of their own...they too grow up to be like their parents.

On a regular basis, I see lads in their 20's to 30's riding at full throttle on mini motorbikes on public pathways, people parking on grass verges, people throwing litter down......not one day passes that I find myself having to go outside my house door to pick up sweet wrappers kids have thrown down, or beer cans placed on my garden wall or dumped down the side of it and my fence.

Gleadless Valley has certainly gone down the 'Pan ' so to speak since my living there from 1964 - to present ( 54 years ), it use to be a very pleasant estate - no graffiti, no dog fouling, no druggies , muggings etc.

I blame Sheffield City Council and in particular Newfield Green Housing Department - Why

because they should vet families before giving them a tenancy on what was a show piece of an estate.

Parents are also to blame, they let their kids run riot, don't care where they go or what they do or upset just as long as they get them out of their hair. They become teenagers and have kids of their own...they too grow up to be like their parents.

On a regular basis, I see lads in their 20's to 30's riding at full throttle on mini motorbikes on public pathways, people parking on grass verges, people throwing litter down......not one day passes that I find myself having to go outside my house door to pick up sweet wrappers kids have thrown down, or beer cans placed on my garden wall or dumped down the side of it and my fence.

Think the parents are the biggest problem,scuzzers breed scuzzers and to be honest rather than put them down I don't know the answer,I do feel sorry for you having to put up with it.