Sheffield sayings and rhymes

As slowpin been mentioned..As in,look at those two slowpin off together? Not sure of the spelling?? Just guessing

There's a whole thread about this here. Apparently it's only in the Sheffield area that people (or at least, older people) refer to sweets as spice, and it evidently comes from the fact that sweets were made of sugar and spices such as cinnamon, mint etc. The fact that Sheffield hads a number of sweet factories such as Bassets and Simpkins probably helped it along.

My Mother worked at Simkins before the war....she always referred to it as "spice factory"

Apparently Worthy was a regular all over northern Sheffield and not just Parson Cross.

Did anyone go to replenish their fire with coal from the coil oil?

chip oyle, coal oyle and snooker oyle.....

hiya it's a wooden form like sat on a bench, it's the way you tell them.oreight so we owdens don't talk proper .i remember when i was young i once said thee in front of my grandfather and he pulled me up sharp asking if i meant you, i said yes sorry,he came from lincolnshire.

There's an expression "Nah then, thee thou them as thou's thee". It was a warning to young lads who got over-familiar or cheeky with older workmates. Roughly translated it meant only address someone as 'thou' if they address you the same way. A bit like the French Tu (familiar) and Vous (respectful/polite)!

My wife's great aunt used to say of someone a bit hyperactive "He's like a ferret poppin' out on its keck". (Keck = Hole)

But then if he's been framed that has a totaly different meaning.....

hiya grinder the word i used was frame, not framed, the way i meant was in the frame meaning one of a number,when i said burglar what i meant was he was one of several, being in the frame, also framing was another word for trying.also use thee noddle,weer wer tha went brains wer ginart,at togger it was gee it sum shoe, wellie( i suppose this was when it was raining) ,lether, clobber,

Edited by willybite

As slowpin been mentioned..As in,look at those two slowpin off together? Not sure of the spelling?? Just guessing

that'd be "sloping" owlschick. there was a cartoon strip a while back ;) about a chap called "Ally Sloper" (a pun on the words alley sloper)

it was used in the sense of sneaking off.

There's an expression "Nah then, thee thou them as thou's thee". It was a warning to young lads who got over-familiar or cheeky with older workmates. Roughly translated it meant only address someone as 'thou' if they address you the same way. A bit like the French Tu (familiar) and Vous (respectful/polite)!

My wife's great aunt used to say of someone a bit hyperactive "He's like a ferret poppin' out on its keck". (Keck = Hole)

Hey algy, I first heard that expression in what used to be Cumberland (now Cumbria). They don't use the 'thee thou' vernacular up there to the same degree as South Yorkshire. If it was used it was deemed to be overly familiar. When I heard it the person to be 'thee'd' at, said 'Don't thee thee thou me, thee thou them that thee thou's thee'.

:hihi

that'd be "sloping" owlschick. there was a cartoon strip a while back ;) about a chap called "Ally Sloper" (a pun on the words alley sloper)

it was used in the sense of sneaking off.

Cheers pt...where was the cartoon strip?:)

hiya grinder the word i used was frame, not framed, the way i meant was in the frame meaning one of a number,when i said burglar what i meant was he was one of several, being in the frame, also framing was another word for trying.also use thee noddle,weer wer tha went brains wer ginart,at togger it was gee it sum shoe, wellie( i suppose this was when it was raining) ,lether, clobber,

Willybite.

I was just pointing out that our trans-Atlantic cousins also use the word frame, but in a different context

Myself,as a lad I often remember being told " Nah dat framing"

One thing that my parents used to say has always puzzled my OH, They would always call a magazine a"Book" or they would have said "BOOOK" If my Mum asked hmi to pass her wimmins booook he would be looking all over for a proper book till she said "frame will ya its next to thee foot" He would look at her "Gone out" (theres another saying for you) wheres that from.

hiya i suppose in our younger days we would have been as puzzled calling a book a magazine,my gran used to have, the post,illusterated, and john bull, and she wouldn't call them books, or magazines, they were weekly's,

i never understood why we had so many sunday newspapers at home when i was young i had the job of fetching them,my dad would say each sunday other goin fut papers and fetch me 10 woodbines anall.i was about 10 or 11,at the time

the papers were,empire news, express,dispatch,pictorial,people, reynolds news,news of the world, seven in all.

ps if dad was working sunday he would bring home two scotish sunday papers sunday post and sunday mail one had a childrens section with the broons and oor wully, i remember saying that the spellings are all wrong and his answer was thats are the spayk up theer, not like us.

Edited by willybite