Middlewood Hospital

I have lived on the estate that is springing up in the old hospital grounds for around 18 months. The place really intrigues me with the main mens ward now well on the way to refurbishment.I have just heard that the clock tower has been saved from demolition and will undergo some sort of restoration in the near future. I have spoken to people who have worked in the hospital in the past and everyone talks about what a close knit community it was. There was a real sense of a family atmosphere about the place. I would love to view any old photos of the place or listen to stories from people who have worked there in the past.

The only memory i have is going there in the early eighties to try and capture one of the wild kittens that lived in the grounds, to take home as a family pet. Good job i never managed to catch one really....mmmmm.

Hi there, person from across the road from me, LMAO

If your living on that new estate across from Winn Gardens, then there might be the remains of the filming of The Last Train over there, at least, that is what I have read on the net somewhere.

You'll have to come across for a cuppa someday, heh.

I have found a referance to the last train on the net myself and there is one picture of some of the old buildings that are now gone. I can't really make my mind up as to where the picture was actually taken. I found a few more pics on the net and one of my neighbours lent me a copy of a book published in 1972 to celebrate the hospitals centenary. There were two or three really good pics in there and i managed to get some copies done.

PS Thanks for the invite, i may take you up on that offer the next time i get off the tram.

Your welcome on the invite, I am in most days, well, to be honest, every friggin day, LMAO, well, except Mondays.......but always in after 4pm as I have to be for my kid, ya can't miss where we are situated, right across from that damn eyesore that is a tower block, although we do have fun watching people fail their driving tests in the carpark opposite, hahahaha.

Almost everyone has some stories about Middlewood Hospital.

I have never actually been on the site but a friend of mine remembers walking around the hospital just after it closed and recalls seeing an elderly man in a sort of dressing gown walking around outside when he looked again the man had disappeared!! He said it was very creepy and was quite sure it was a ghost he saw.

To be honest it wouldn't suprise me if a lot of people in these new houses had some sort of spooky experience.

I worked in the Stores Dept at Middlewood

for a few years in the 70's.

I had a copy of the Centenery Book but

managed to lose it !! A fascinating read

if you can get hold of a copy.

The place had a great atmosphere back then.

I don't believe in Ghosts but the site was

spooky on dark winter evenings.

I didn't work there, I was just unfortunate enough to have to visit someone a few times. This was about 25 years ago. It was scary. I used to take a 20 pack of Park Drive ciggies in. You should have seen the eyes of the other 'patients' when I handed them over. They nearly popped out of their heads. The next bit was worse as they started moving slowly towards us. It was like something out of the thriller video.

Is it gone now? I have hardly been in Sheffield over the last 20 years.

Yes it has gone now and they have built some trendy houses on the site.

Its got a reputation for being haunted but its not suprising really is it.

Oh thanks, I live just across from the hospital and I am gonna be having nightmares now, just great for Halloween, LMAO, j/k.

To Kry 10 & blue 11265:I was fortunate enough to be given a guided tour by Drew, the site manager, about 6 months ago. He took me all round the old asylum, from basement to roof. Drew said that when they 1st arrived there were still the old 'torture beds' in the basement with the straps still attached!

Up in the roof space there are some old beams, written on 1 of these beams are the words 'kill all the children, all kids must die', in pink chalk, too high for a child to reach.

Drew also said that 2 of the workmen saw 'an old lady in a shawl' 1 night when they slept on site, in a part of the asylum that has now been demolished. He also said he would try to get the photo's from head office which someone took before they started work on the place.

I also went round the old church(which is still there and sold), when the estate agent had a 'viewing' day.The sun was shining through the stained glass windows, which looked absolutely gorgeous.

I now drive the refuse collection vehicle on Middlewood(now called Wadsley Village) and Winn Gardens, opposite.

I look foreward to coming back to this page, but it won't be 'til next Tuesday. See ya soon.

Thanks for that info Dizzy. You have made the hairs on the back of my neck stand to attention. It would be great to see the pictures that were taken.

Ps my brother in law Jeff Webster also collects the refuse on the estate.

After reading this stuff it brings back a very strange day for me,

I used to be a scaffolder and worked on Middlewood site but left after they had built about 20 houses because my tackle kept going missing and was being found in the house at the bottom of the hill ( is it still there?) and i packed in because i thought there were people pinching it but after reading this it has made me think again but it could still have been some groundworker mucking about but i will leave it up to u to make your own mind up??