Memories Of Walkley

Hi

I am from Walkley living on Blake Street,going to Upperthorpe School then Myers Grove

What great Days

you went wrong way mate burgoynne road was where all the clever ones went ha ha

I was born in 75 but i have 1 bro and 3 sisters that are older then me.my grandad and nan moved to whitehouse lane after there house got bombed at hillsborough my mum and dad have passed away so i cant ask them

i lived whitehouse lane what where mam and dads name i am 70

Hi all,

This may be of interest - the University of Sheffield is running a series of events throughout May and early June, called In The City. One of the events (happening next week, on May 8th) is based on the history of the Walkley Action Group and the proposed re-development of Walkley in the 1970s - discussing these events and the effect the activism had on Sheffield's town planning and housing.

We'll also be featuring interviews with ex-Walkley residents, and a small exhibition from the Walkley Ways, Walkley Wars project. If any of you were living in Walkley at the time and would like to share your story on the night, please email n.potter@sheffield.ac.uk, we'd love to hear from you.

The event is absolutely free, and starts at 7pm on 8th May in Jessop West Exhibition Space, S3 7AR. You can register for places here: https://tobuildahome-2.eventbrite.co.uk

Below are some further details, and the full In The City programme is available on the following link:

http://www.shef.ac.uk/artsenterprise/inthecity

To Build a Home: Sea-Change in Sheffield Housing and Planning Practice

Speakers: Professor Geoff Green, Emeritus Professor of Urban Policy at Sheffield Hallam, Veronica Hardstaff, Narendra Bajaria CBE

Date: 8 May, 7pm

Venue: Jessop West Exhibition Space

The second part of the To Build a Home series brings together an exciting panel talk, based on the story of the highly influential Walkley Action Group and the proposed slum clearance by Sheffield City Council in the 1970s. Professor Geoff Green, Veronica Hardstaff and Narendra Bajaria will discuss their role in the activism and the subsequent sea-change in Sheffield planning that saved Central Walkley from the bulldozers. They will specifically also discuss the wider political context, and council’s determination to improve living conditions, whilst exploring the relationship between politicians, planners and residents. Image courtesy of the J R James Archive.

The talk will be followed by more interviews from Walkley Witness, which is a Department of History project that contributes to Walkley Ways, Walkley Wars through oral history.

For more information on the project, visit http://walkleyhistory.wordpress.com/.

Thanks!

anyone remember reaney family?cyril,lilly,pat,peter,alan,barry,edward/micheal,david.......1940s50s/60s.

---------- Post added 01-06-2014 at 19:46 ----------

anyone remember a family named reaney? from 1940s 50s 60s.............lived in walkley area cyril lilly peter pat alan mick barry david.

---------- Post added 01-06-2014 at 19:49 ----------

hi did u know reaney family? think they lived on cromwell st aswel.

I knew Alan, his wife Margaret and his daughters Sue and Jane

I knew Alan, his wife Margaret and his daughters Sue and Jane

Was Margaret a dinner lady at St Josephs? The name Reaney rings a bell and I thought of Susan Reaney. Straight away.

Was Margaret a dinner lady at St Josephs? The name Reaney rings a bell and I thought of Susan Reaney. Straight away.

I don't know if Margaret was a dinner lady at St Joseph's. I went there until 1965 but can't remember her.

Alan and Sue have both passed away. Jane is living in Australia. Margaret is still in Sheffield.

[/color]

I remember an old lady who used to sell cornets of home made ice cream in a little shop opposite the library...was that the sasparilla shop too?

They also sold milk lollies.

---------- Post added 18-08-2014 at 07:20 ----------

I don't recall a billiard hall at all, just the Library on the opposite corner from the "Chat Wall " :)

In the late fifties / early sixties there was a triangular piece of waste land opposite the library which we knew as 'the billiards'. We used to play cricket and football there.

Maybe a billiard hall existed there at one time?

I am trying to visualise where this wall and this billiard hall were. Were they on South Road or the other side of Walkley Road?..
...In the late fifties / early sixties there was a triangular piece of waste land opposite the library which we knew as 'the billiards'. We used to play cricket and football there. Maybe a billiard hall existed there at one time?
Kelly's directories from the 1930s and 1940s show "Walkley Billiard Hall" opposite the library, on the corner of Walkley Road and Parsonage Crescent.

Kelly's directories from the 1930s and 1940s show "Walkley Billiard Hall" opposite the library, on the corner of Walkley Road and Parsonage Crescent.

Yes, that is the site of our former 'playing field'. :hihi:

Hi i lived in king james st...no 91...from 53 to 67 i guess....walkley county school....it was lovely then......where r you all?????? roger horne/ian platts/eric asbery/cathleen knott/carol batison(met 10+yrs ago) derek massey/philip car/peter frogatt(rip) diane bentley(rip)christine hudson(rip)+many many more.........harold drable...(saw last month)john benion/georgie brown/silvia clements/john brookfield/ many more.....we use to play on the unadopted st below our house (when kids) all brought our dinky toys to play with--- fantastic the first swop meets days.....steve r walker xxx