Burgoyne Road school

I don't know Ray Healey, but Brian used to breed and show budgies when in Victor St.

The only Healey I can recall was Michael Healey who lived in Hoole St. near

Graham Burgin and his family.

Knowing Ray he could have been a Brian:)he lived about 10 houses up Victor Street on the right hand side.

chalky1hello mate just testing f

---------- Post added 25-03-2014 at 17:37 ----------

chalky1cundy st hoole st industry st carr road freedom road palm st first three off whitehouse road you cant be getting messages asked if you where married told you about me no reply on skyp write back if you can

Hi chalky 1 re Melvin Raynor the last I heard he was running a guest house somewhere in the Kendal area,go back in the thread someone posted this!.I didn,t go to school with Melvin we met as teenagers,used to drink Sunday dinners in the Bath Hotel also went to Walkley Club to espy the strippers to build up an appetite for our Sunday dinner!.At one time he had or worked in a butchers in the Cumbria area,one of my mates bumped into him just by chance!.I hope this helps!.

Thanks old tup, went to the Walkley club many times before moving to Aus. I also had a few beers at the Bath in the early 60's

---------- Post added 03-04-2014 at 10:13 ----------

Sorry Frank, yes married with 6 kids and the youngest is 38 and now lives with his wife in London. My wife Jan and I have just sold the home and bought a Winnebago Motor Home. We now just travel around Australia, as well as visiting our son in London every couple of years.

Edited by chalky1

youngypungy did you get my information about albert young

---------- Post added 17-04-2014 at 18:06 ----------

frankkirk did you get messages

Hi

I recognise most of the names here.Fascinating stuff but quite scary how many of the class has died.I was in the same class as Betty Craggs and her friend Pauline Whitehouse married another classmate Graham Burgin both now deceased. Other names I remember

Pat Stones,Margaret Davies Brenda Ryan Winifred Goonan Carol Johnson,Stewart Wilson Terence Kirk Trevor Oates

I am currently involved in a Walkley History Project gathering stories from the 50s and 60s about growing up in this area .We're also trying to collect as many photos of these old streets to copy and archive.If anyone is willing to contribute I can give contact details.

Hello everyone,

My name is Philip Bennett and I went to Burgoyne Road School from 1957 till 1963,from there I went to Myers Grove.I use to live on Hadfield Terrace,which was 2 rows of houses just off the bottom of Hadfield Street.

My sister Caroline went there from 1962 till 1968.We left Walkley in 1968 due our houses being demolished.

My mum and my auntie and uncles went to Burgoyne road in the 1930's,her maiden name was Pearson

In my class at school was Stephen Goddard,Stephen(Donkey) Dennif,Brian Taylor,Peter Lemming and Gordon Hawksworth to name one or two.

I remember some of our teachers,Mrs Lowry was the headmistress in the infants,Mr Cohen the headteacher in the juniors,Miss Penrose J1 and Mr davey J4

Think you mean Gordon Wordsworth! Remember when we had that 'set up' fight bottom of Bloor St. Left school to be a brickie. Next time I set foot in Buroyne Rd school was chairing a community forum as vice chair of the police authority! Now over in Peak District. When Went to Marlcliffe I lost touch with most people locally, fond memories, nice to catch up.

---------- Post added 06-09-2014 at 20:14 ----------

Looking for anyone who went to Burgoyne Rd. school in the 50s & 60s

Keith, I used to be in Peters class and we were big mates at that time, till I went to Marlcliffe. Its Gordon, remember me to him. Do you remember that lad I used to go on long bike rides with on Otley St, Tom Brown I think? Cheers.

I think that was a few years older than me.There was a Peter Leeming in our class..is that Keith's brother.Also Susan Straw rings a bell.

I was in the same class as both Peter Leeming and Philip Bennett and remember them both well. Anyone remember me, I was Susan Pendreigh. I remember Susan Oldfield, Linda Ward, Julie Kantor, Stephen Denniff and many others

Does anyone on this thread know Ike Healey I'm sorry to let you know he passed away a few months back after a long fight against cancer.In his school days he was best pal to Carl Hutchinson also sadly gone with the same deadly disease I'm sure someone knows them both my old drinking mates in the Bath Hotel.

Edited by old tup

Yes Sue, did you go to Hinde House or similar? I went to Marlcliffe with Susan Oldfield. We passed the old 11 plus when in mr Davy's class. Do you still live in Sheffield. Not been to Walkley for anfew years, last time most of the familiar streets had changed. I live in the peak district now.

Does anyone on this thread know Ike Healey I'm sorry to let you know he passed away a few months back after a long fight against cancer.In his school days he was best pal to Carl Hutchinson also sadly gone with the same deadly disease I'm sure someone knows them both my old drinking mates in the Bath Hotel.

I knew both of them Tup, [from the Rose House on South Road days].

Carl's brother Barry is a pal of mine although since they closed the Market I don't get to see him as much.

Ike was a great practical joker ow't for a laugh.