YO-YO Craze In The Late 50's

Anyone remember way back in the late 50's when Yo-yo's were all the craze ?

As a kid I used to go to the Star Picture Palace every Saturday morning, cost six old pence to get in, used to watch films like 'The Little Rascals' 'Lone Ranger' amongst other films which will no doubt be in the archives now.

Soon as you walked in, you were greeted by the aroma of popcorn, hotdogs in the foyer.

This was around the time that Yo-Yo's were all on the go - all the kids had them, I remember mine being bright yellow and it being a '99' model..........one Saturday morning the Star Picture Palace had an onstage Yo-yo competition and hosted by what was then a celebrity: Tommy Steele.

The kids went up on stage with their Yo-yo's and some of them were really good doing the tricks...........forgot what the prize was ?

Anyone remember this or attend ?

I think in the 50,s a lot of cinemas had this sort of competition.I remember the Lyric at Darnall havi ng the"world champion" doing exhibitions

used to have them at the pavilion on a sat morning prize if memory serves me was a yo-yo

Anyone remember way back in the late 50's when Yo-yo's were all the craze ?

As a kid I used to go to the Star Picture Palace every Saturday morning, cost six old pence to get in, used to watch films like 'The Little Rascals' 'Lone Ranger' amongst other films which will no doubt be in the archives now.

Soon as you walked in, you were greeted by the aroma of popcorn, hotdogs in the foyer.

This was around the time that Yo-Yo's were all on the go - all the kids had them, I remember mine being bright yellow and it being a '99' model..........one Saturday morning the Star Picture Palace had an onstage Yo-yo competition and hosted by what was then a celebrity: Tommy Steele.

The kids went up on stage with their Yo-yo's and some of them were really good doing the tricks...........forgot what the prize was ?

Anyone remember this or attend ?

Yes, I remember a similar event at the Heeley Palace cinema.

There was also a hula hoop craze in the '50s and a time when all kids had to have a pair of stilts. In retrospect, we were a crazy lot!

echo.

We had the yo-yo world champion Billy Panama visit us at the Forum Southey Saturday matinee and he got all the kids on stage with their yo-yos.

Saw Billy Panama doing tricks at Redgates so impressed I got my mum to buy me a dark blue 99. Still have it grand kids love it.

Re John Habs and the star cinema and yo yos. I remember it very well.But I believe the prices were 5d for downstairs and 7d for upstairs.I would go with a shilling, crisps were 2d and ice creams were 3d, so if I went downstairs I would get two crisps and an ice cream sandwich. I still have a star cinema badge that would shine in the dark. Loved the place and was sad to see it was gone on my last visit home.

Yes the Essoldo at Sheffield Lane Top used to do that too. My schoolfrend Margaret Black won a tennis racket

We had the yo-yo world champion Billy Panama visit us at the Forum Southey Saturday matinee and he got all the kids on stage with their yo-yos.

We used to go to the Forum Southey every week,I remember Billy Panama too,every kid had a yo-yo they were all the rage remember the "Cats cradle" trick and "Walking the dog" also "loop the loop"!.One thing I remember was the "Flash Gordon"serial he was always in an impossible fix with no chance of escape at the end of every episode,then when the next weeks episode started it was an entirely different ending to the one we had left previously,what a swizz,we were definitely gullible as kids but we loved it and never complained!:hihi::hihi::confused:

We used to go to the Forum Southey every week,I remember Billy Panama too,every kid had a yo-yo they were all the rage remember the "Cats cradle" trick and "Walking the dog" also "loop the loop"!.One thing I remember was the "Flash Gordon"serial he was always in an impossible fix with no chance of escape at the end of every episode,then when the next weeks episode started it was an entirely different ending to the one we had left previously,what a swizz,we were definitely gullible as kids but we loved it and never complained!:hihi::hihi::confused:
HeyupTuppy,Iused to think Emperor Ming was weird and strange now days most of the blokes look like him.Was it Dale who was Flashs girlfriend and Mings was Princess Leah.We were probably in the Forum at the same time,if you got stung on the neck it was me with a bag of dried peas from Ring fruit shop and a tuppenny pea shooter ehehe.:D

Nar then bullerboy it was you was it?,I,ve still got the scars on the back of my neck to this day!.Those dried peas were like bullets flying in the dark,you needed a crash helmet on some weeks,after the Forum our favourite haunt as schoolkids was the tanner rush Saturday morning at the Roscoe Shalesmoor.Allthough we didn,t have much spare cash we certainly got around as raggy arsed little kids enjoying ourselves,happy days!.

Nar then bullerboy it was you was it?,I,ve still got the scars on the back of my neck to this day!.Those dried peas were like bullets flying in the dark,you needed a crash helmet on some weeks,after the Forum our favourite haunt as schoolkids was the tanner rush Saturday morning at the Roscoe Shalesmoor.Allthough we didn,t have much spare cash we certainly got around as raggy arsed little kids enjoying ourselves,happy days!.
Same here,we went everywhere and walked cos we had no dosh for the bus if we had we would spend it on spice,we would even walk to Rotherham and back all different ways but the most enjoyment was the meders and it dint cost owt .Can you remember the mules at the Forum what you bounced up and down on and raced across the stage.