History of Bands Playing City Hall Anyone?

Has anyone written a list of who has played at the City Hall and when?

I got into a heated discussion following Thin Lizzy on Sunday night about when they had played there before and who supported who etc etc. You know how it is after a few sherbets.

I've still got some of the old blue ticket stubs from way back when. They have the day of the month but not the year on them. As I head towards the great gig in the sky my memory ain't what it used to be so I'd like someone to remember some of these bands and dates for me.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Off the top of my head some of the bands I think I have seen there:

Deep Purple

Black Sabbath

Blizzard of Oz

ELP

Yes

Led Zep

Faces

Mott the Hoople

Queen

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Quo

Oh yeah, first time I've been in since they did it up. Nice job. Smart move putting the bar upstairs.

I think Deep Purple and Sabbath would have been 73/74 sort of time..I saw both of them at the City Hall..saw Yes when they played the whole of Topograpgic Oceans..saw Queen there as well..all roughly the same time I think give or take a year..

Saw Sabbath a couple o' times ..Supported by Curved Air and Freedom ( around 71 )

then supported by Black Oak Arkansas (around74) Black Oak had released their 'High on the Hog' album and were by far the better of the two bands ..They were simply awesome ...( i've heard quite a few folk say the same ) We walked out halfway through Sabbaths set and went to the Albert for a couple o' Pints.. :hihi:

Saw Deep Purple around 70/71 ....'Deep Purple in Rock' .... Brilliant night :thumbsup:

Seen countless bands over the years there including ..The Nice ..Canned Heat ..Groundhogs ..Traffic ..Ten Years After ..Stone the Crows ..Van Der Graaf Generator ..Pink Fairies ..Audience ..Edgar Broughton Band ...Status Quo ...Thin Lizzy ..Jethro Tull ..Fairport Convention ..Mott the Hoople ..Wishbone Ash .. E.L.P ...King Crimson ...Led Zeppelin..Joe Satriani ...Steve Vai ...and too many more to mention ..:)

Saw Sabbath a couple o' times ..Supported by Curved Air and Freedom ( around 71 )

then supported by Black Oak Arkansas (around74) Black Oak had released their 'High on the Hog' album and were by far the better of the two bands ..They were simply awesome ...( i've heard quite a few folk say the same ) We walked out halfway through Sabbaths set and went to the Albert for a couple o' Pints.. :hihi:

Saw Deep Purple around 70/71 ....'Deep Purple in Rock' .... Brilliant night :thumbsup:

Seen countless bands over the years there including ..The Nice ..Canned Heat ..Groundhogs ..Traffic ..Ten Years After ..Stone the Crows ..Van Der Graaf Generator ..Pink Fairies ..Audience ..Edgar Broughton Band ...Status Quo ...Thin Lizzy ..Jethro Tull ..Fairport Convention ..Mott the Hoople ..Wishbone Ash .. E.L.P ...King Crimson ...Led Zeppelin..Joe Satriani ...Steve Vai ...and too many more to mention ..:)

I saw Black Sabbath with BOA...must have been the same gig..

Pink Fairies.........................now there's a band I really like and yet you never hear them on the radio. Wonder why?

You guys are hardcore

Aaaah, The Albert. The memories come flooding back........................like the Trophy Bitter.

We were trying to remember who supported Queen or if it was Queen supporting someone else. Thin Lizzy and Quo were both mentioned.

I too remember seeing Black Sabbath at Sheffield City Hall around 71. Also saw Hendrix in either 67 or 68 memories going now. Great times.

:hihi:Saw Sabbath 75,took my young lady,she was into Bay city rollers:hihi:

Wishbone ash 74ish,Queen 74ish.

Has anyone written a list of who has played at the City Hall and when?

I got into a heated discussion following Thin Lizzy on Sunday night about when they had played there before and who supported who etc etc. You know how it is after a few sherbets.

Off the top of my head some of the bands I think I have seen there:

Lynyrd Skynyrd

I saw Lizzy there in late 76 which I think was the Johhny The Fox tour. I can't remember the support. Skynyrd played there in early 77 supported by Clover who played on Elvis Costello's first LP, before the Distractions. Lizzy also played there in late 77. I also saw Graham Parker and the Rumour and Southside Johnny, Television and Blondie, and the Small Faces there in 77, as well as Elvis Costello, John Cooper Clarke and Richard Hell and the Voidoids in January 79. The worst gig I ever saw anywhere was Uriah Heep there in 77. I still owe someone a kicking for taking me to that.

I saw Thin Lizzy at the City Hall when they supported Slade in 1972.Also on the bill was Suzi Quatro.

I saw Slade twice more,supported by Status Quo on one occasion and by Alex Harvey on the other.

Edited by shanes teeth