Does anyone remember Ernest Applegates shop on Alfred road

Can anyone remember his shop corner of Dane st/Alfred road? always wore a arkright brown smock had an old car with rubber front wings.

How many years ago? I am interested as my late grandfather was Ernest Applegate

Hi sporty1,I can remember him from more than 55 years ago there was another guy who worked with him in the shop who i thought was his brother,i may be wrong though,but he looked like him,Mr Applegate was very genial chap even gave me a christmas gift,a magic genie that spun round answering questions on a board!

Edited by dave d
missing detail

Hi sporty1,I can remember him from more than 55 years ago there was another guy who worked with him in the shop who i thought was his brother,i may be wrong though,but he looked like him,Mr Applegate was very genial chap even gave me a christmas gift,a magic genie that spun round answering questions on a board!

hi dave didnt thelma have the shop after mr applegate . thelma smith before she married cant remember her married name

Hi Sporty1 - welcome to the Forum!..:).Looking at the Kelly's directories I have, "Ernest Applegate, grocer" is shown at 162 Alfred Road in the 1942 and 1954 directories. By 1964 "W. Smith, shopkeeper" was there, and W. Smith was still listed in the 1971 directory. By 1972 the property is not shown.

Going back further, the 1925 directory shows "Ernest Applegate, grocer" not too far away at 100 Clay Street, and "John Collins, grocer" at 162 Alfred Road. So it seems that Ernest Applegate took over the Alfred Road shop after 1924 and before 1941 (when the 1942 directory would have been compiled).

hi dave didnt thelma have the shop after mr applegate . thelma smith before she married cant remember her married name

Yes lake1 Thelma did run the shop with old Mrs Smith (her mother)she was married to Alf Melia,Both Alf and her brother Harold Smith ran mini bus trips fishing I and my dad use to go along with my uncle Charlie,Dad always went in a suit, spent all his time in the pub!

---------- Post added 27-02-2013 at 13:06 ----------

Hi sporty1,memories are coming back,he used to get corned beef in large sguare tins open them on one end.And and punch a hole in tuther end then blow till the corned beef slid out! no health and hygiene in them days but we all seemed to thrive then.As i got older he gave me a saturday job washing his car even gave me a raise when he swopped it for a much bigger car.great times

---------- Post added 27-02-2013 at 13:12 ----------

Hi Sporty1 - welcome to the Forum!..:).Looking at the Kelly's directories I have, "Ernest Applegate, grocer" is shown at 162 Alfred Road in the 1942 and 1954 directories. By 1964 "W. Smith, shopkeeper" was there, and W. Smith was still listed in the 1971 directory. By 1972 the property is not shown.

Going back further, the 1925 directory shows "Ernest Applegate, grocer" not too far away at 100 Clay Street, and "John Collins, grocer" at 162 Alfred Road. So it seems that Ernest Applegate took over the Alfred Road shop after 1924 and before 1941 (when the 1942 directory would have been compiled).

Hi hillsbor yes Winnie Smith took over from Ernest Applegate and kept the shop till it was closed in 71/2 for slum clearance.

Edited by dave d
spelling

Thanks sounds very much like my grandfather. He did go on to own a shop in Norton. I can remember that as my late father used to work there. Good memories remember when Open all Hours first came on the tv my father never giggled so much. Always thought he was laughing at the programme and memories of his fathers shop.

Hi dave d - I did wonder if the "W. Smith" was Winnie Smith - in the 1954 directory "Mrs Winifred Smith, shopkeeper" is shown at No 9 Dane Street, so perhaps she moved her business when Ernest Applegate moved to Norton. "E. Applegate" and later "B. Applegate" appear in 1960s/70s directories on Norton Lane.

Hi dave d - I did wonder if the "W. Smith" was Winnie Smith - in the 1954 directory "Mrs Winifred Smith, shopkeeper" is shown at No 9 Dane Street, so perhaps she moved her business when Ernest Applegate moved to Norton. "E. Applegate" and later "B. Applegate" appear in 1960s/70s directories on Norton Lane.

Beatrice Applegate was my Grandmother. My father helped run the shop in Spring House Norton after my grandfather passed away. Beatrice bless her died a couple of years ago but at 105 years old she had enjoyed a long and healthy life

Hi hillsbro yes indeed Winnie Smith did take over from no9 dane st the two shops were on opposite corners of the junction of dane st and alfred rd,they traded for many years as grocers, applegates shop was much bigger, dont think no9 was a shop after she moved across the road.

Hello again Sporty 1 - I had actually found a 1936 marriage entry for Ernest Applegate and Beatrice Brumby. It's wonderful that Beatrice lived to the age of 105 - hard work in the shop and raising a family certainly did her no harm! Beatrice seems to have been a Lancashire lass - at least, I found a possible 1905 birth entry in Burnley. Our next-door neighbour is in her 90s and still drives her car (safely) so there's hope for us all!

Yes lake1 Thelma did run the shop with old Mrs Smith (her mother)she was married to Alf Melia,Both Alf and her brother Harold Smith ran mini bus trips fishing I and my dad use to go along with my uncle Charlie,Dad always went in a suit, spent all his time in the pub!

---------- Post added 27-02-2013 at 13:06 ----------

Hi sporty1,memories are coming back,he used to get corned beef in large sguare tins open them on one end.And and punch a hole in tuther end then blow till the corned beef slid out! no health and hygiene in them days but we all seemed to thrive then.As i got older he gave me a saturday job washing his car even gave me a raise when he swopped it for a much bigger car.great times

---------- Post added 27-02-2013 at 13:12 ----------

Hi hillsbor yes Winnie Smith took over from Ernest Applegate and kept the shop till it was closed in 71/2 for slum clearance.

hello dave yes harold usedto do mini buses then drove for freidricks pork shop in wicker.me and your john earnest gilberthorpe used to go fishing nearly every sunday with harold.i dont know wether it was while you had wellington but we used to go out in his car to the turf at hoyland then get back for last orders in wellington.happy days have a lot of memories all happy