Does anyone remember Ernest Applegates shop on Alfred road

Hello again Sporty 1 - I had actually found a 1936 marriage entry for Ernest Applegate and Beatrice Brumby. It's wonderful that Beatrice lived to the age of 105 - hard work in the shop and raising a family certainly did her no harm! Beatrice seems to have been a Lancashire lass - at least, I found a possible 1905 birth entry in Burnley. Our next-door neighbour is in her 90s and still drives her car (safely) so there's hope for us all!

Hi,yes her maiden name was Brumby. Her mother my great grandma lived until her late 90's and one of her brothers lived to a similar age. So there may be hope for me ! My son had to do a family tree for a school project and it was good to research my family. I was only young when Ernest Applegate died so do not have many memories of him. Today's post has been very interesting to me and the comments about Ernest Applegate have made me smile. Always wondered why we often had corned beef ash to eat guess it was surplus from the shop :)

Hi,yes her maiden name was Brumby. Her mother my great grandma lived until her late 90's and one of her brothers lived to a similar age. So there may be hope for me ! My son had to do a family tree for a school project and it was good to research my family. I was only young when Ernest Applegate died so do not have many memories of him. Today's post has been very interesting to me and the comments about Ernest Applegate have made me smile. Always wondered why we often had corned beef ash to eat guess it was surplus from the shop :)

Hi Sporty1 glad you found the comments useful on the forum,when i found this forum it brought back lots of memories and also people from my schooldays etc so i am happy to share them,Mr Applegate gave me lots of happy times, a great guy and a pleasure to have known.regards daved

Hello Sporty1' . Your grandad was my mothers brother her name Is Lily May Hancock, hope to hear from you