Hillsborough Shops Of The Past

that sounds great, they were on the corner of Crofton Avenue, about 400 Middlewood Road. Hope this helps. Thanks.

Hi conmon - I imagine this will be 389 to 399 Middlewood Road. Here are scans of the entries in Kelly's directories from between 1942 and 1973 as dated.

Hi conmon - I imagine this will be 389 to 399 Middlewood Road. Here are scans of the entries in Kelly's directories from between 1942 and 1973 as dated.

Hi hillsbro - Long time no talk, so here goes. Your two scans for 42 and 54 show 'Jervis' at 393 Middlewood Rd, they were related to our family through marriage, as a child I visited that address, they had one son Charlie and he married my Aunt Mary (my Moms sister). They eventually moved to Marcliffe Rd with a son for awhile, before moving in the vicinity of Sammy Foxes where he worked until he retired. Both have since passed on.

Hi fleetwood - oddly enough I remember that my dad knew someone with the name Jervis on Marlcliffe Road so this could well have been Charlie. I found his father John Wilfrid's details in BMD records - born Staveley in 1891, married Emily James in 1918, died 1950 (this explains the change in the directory entry from "Jn. Wilfrid Jervis" to "E. Jervis between 1942 and 1954).

Hi Hillsbro thanks so much it is 399 Drinkell R&J (my grandparents) shop. My mum remembers all the neighbours thanks for your help.

Hi fleetwood - oddly enough I remember that my dad knew someone with the name Jervis on Marlcliffe Road so this could well have been Charlie. I found his father John Wilfrid's details in BMD records - born Staveley in 1891, married Emily James in 1918, died 1950 (this explains the change in the directory entry from "Jn. Wilfrid Jervis" to "E. Jervis between 1942 and 1954).

I do remember the fathers death which was a little premature I suppose, I seem to recall a rather large studious looking man with large horn rimmed glasses, he certainly fit the Newsagent role to a tee. Before the son Charlie moved to Marcliffe Rd I seem to think they moved across Middlewood Rd into the what might have been a council house next to the T.A. camp, hillsbro you may have put a photo up of these a long time ago, as always thanks for your knowledge and interest.

Hillsborough people "of a certain age" might be interested to see these scans of an article "Growing up in Hiillsborough" that I wrote for Picture Postcard Monthly earlier this year:

Page 1...Page 2...Page 3

HILLSBOROUGH SHOPS 35 YEARS AGO AND EARLIER.

Firstly, thankyou, Hillsbro for sorting out the info about the doctor on Langsett Road for me. It was Dr. Rosenfield who saw to me aglets.

Anyroad, I have another question for you, but this one is somewhat vague but not imagined. Please help.

It the late 60's early 70's I used to go occasionally to watch football (loosely said) at Sheffield Wednesday's ground, the one without a roof over the kop. On Penistone Road, between Parkside Road and the stadium on the same side was a shop in a row (terrace) of houses that sold magazines, fags, spice and pop. I don't remember seeing any metal signs fixed on the wall outside advertising newspapers, cigs, chocolate, OXO etc, making me wonder whether it was an offical shop or somebody trying to make a bob or two on the side. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion, although the taxman might disagree. It didn't have loads of stock and looked somewhat makeshift.

Inside (front room) were trestles (?) with sheets of hardboard across them. These were situated to the left, right and back walls, a type of U shape. I also don't remember if it was a bloke or woman who served me. Directly after the match the shop was always closed. I went in the shop on about 6 different occasions. I also think the match day special buses (most back loader) were parked nearby, opposite. What was the name of the shop, if it was one?

I hope you can help me out Hillsbro, or perhaps one of your lesser's on the forum.

Thankyou sir,

Zakes

Hi Zakes - the shop you mention sounds like Payling's newsagents and general store - I remember the shop but I don't think I ever went in. It was just where you mention, at 969 Penistone Road. In fact it has cropped up before on the Forum (see arrodbo's post #7 on this thread). Here is a Google Earth photo showing that there are still traces of paint on the wall above the door. Looking at old Kelly's directories and public records, it seems that the shop was in the Payling family as long ago as the early 1900s - it was taken over by the recently-widowed Harriet Payling in 1924 and she ran the business until 1972, the same year she died aged 82.

Hillsborough people "of a certain age" might be interested to see these scans of an article "Growing up in Hiillsborough" that I wrote for Picture Postcard Monthly earlier this year:

Page 1...Page 2...Page 3

Excellent article and pictures of Hillsborough bygones.

Just one point on Page 2.,You say that Barclays Bank is on the left hand side, I recall it as Yorkshire Bank. Which was in use there until the present one was built on Bradfield Rd.

On a different subject:

Can you remember the Boy Scout Hut on Avondale Road.

I was in the cubs there,and I think it was one of the few troops

that wasn't conected to a church

Edited by bazjea

Hi bazjea - glad you like the article! :) I've been collecting old Hillsborough and Wadsley postcards for ages and decided to put the article together. Here is another article of local interest.

Barclays Bank is still in the same place at 2 Middlewood Road, on the left looking towards Langsett Road. You're perhaps thinking of the Yorkshire Bank that was on the corner of Rudyard Road - the ground floor is now the "La Vida Loca" restaurant.

Yes I remember the old scout hut well. I was in the (238th Sheffield) cubs there in the mid-1950s, in the tender care of our much-loved "Akela" Miss Eva Mills (1902-1981). It was indeed one of the few packs that were not connected to a church. The lease ran out on the hut in 1958 and we moved to one of the cellars in Owlerton Vicarage on Forbes Road, but we were still a "free" pack and just used the cellar as a base.

Hi Hillsborough

Appolgies, you are correct.I was viewing the Ironmongers as being on the Barrack Hill side of Hillsborough Corner.

The LaVida Loca restaurant has now closed.

Edited by bazjea