Driving age to go up to 18

Personally, I think everything should go up to 21. Driving, drinking, smoking, gambling, marriage.

There should also be a maximum age of 80 for driving.

Put the driving age up higher........much higher, then perhaps it will cut down on these base ball cap wearing lunatics driving as though they are Grand Prix racing drivers and thus cut down on the number of speed bumps we have to endue being installed all over the city.

Our road has a 20mph sign on it and the road over a 200yd stretch is riddle with potholes

and I mean really bad ones....... does this stop them from speeding up and down the road, the answer is NO, do they take notice of the speed restriction NO.

Driving age for kid's, I went to a well-known trade out let, Macro, yesterday it has a large car park and laid out in the car park was a course to teach 11 to 17 year olds having hands on tuition on how to drive and handle a car, it was well supervised with plenty of parents in attendance the cars were small hatch backs, now to me this is a good thing giving kids a feel for cars and manoeuvrability control and the realisation that play station games are not the real world, now I’m not saying these kids would become boy or girl racers but don’t you think this is a good idea instead of them reaching the age where they get a license then they learn the hard way and our insurance premiums go up to cover it.

don’t you think this is a good idea instead of them reaching the age where they get a license then they learn the hard way and our insurance premiums go up to cover it.

That is accepting that everyone should have a car as a young person. Cars are a necessity in this country, but that is not the case in every country.

8 year old thread resurrected. Good work.

That is accepting that everyone should have a car as a young person. Cars are a necessity in this country, but that is not the case in every country.

Cars aren't a necessity, although they do make life easier. I haven't owned a vehicle for 4 years. I do have occasional use of my partner's car, but I don't have my own.

Cars aren't a necessity, although they do make life easier. I haven't owned a vehicle for 4 years. I do have occasional use of my partner's car, but I don't have my own.

I didnt have a car for about 5 years, it restricted me from doing normal things; simple things like taking rubbish to the tip. Its easy to get around these things, but not very convenient.

8 year old thread resurrected. Good work.

I agree. Wonder what triggered this.

What an excellent idea! In most American states (especially the Southern ones) they have tighter rules such as this, as well a having a US-wide 55MPH speed limit.

...Only I would be tempted to raise it still further to 21 (I believe this is the case in Tennesee)

We dropped the 55 MPH rule years ago. Most states have settled for a 65 MPH rule with a few going up to 70 or 75 MPH. The drinking age limit settled at 21 nationwide after many accidents caused by neighboring states having different bar closing times. You can't buy a drink in a bar anywhere until you're 21.

I read recently that the any differences in spatial awareness between men and women is mostly due to boys being encouraged to engage in activities that develop spatial awareness more than girls. Which I can well believe on my own observations!

So what do ppl think about the age of driving going up to 18?

Drivers will have to complete a set minimum number of lessons,

zero alcohol limit for all drivers a year after passing their test

banning drivers young drivers from carrying passengers aged between 10-20 from 11pm to 5am for a year after passing their test

Where has this come from as I can't find any reports of any intention to raise the driving age to 18.

Where has this come from as I can't find any reports of any intention to raise the driving age to 18.

The original post was 8 years ago...